AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to bid on competitors brand keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have situation where my competitors are bidding on my brand keywords on adwords.

When I try to bid on their adwords show very low quality score ot stop the ads.

What should I do?

What would you do?

Re: How to bid on competitors brand keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

The low Quality Score is common in Competitor keyword targeting. This is due to the low relevancy. However, bidding on competitor keywords can be a very powerful tool.

What to do:
- Make sure you gain an insight on the conversions to judge the true value of the keywords. Don't just base the decision on CPC and CTR.
- Group competitor keywords together in a seperate campaign. It is beneficial to the campaigns to group particularly high or low QS keywords together.
- Your competitors are likely dealing with the same issues, since the landing page is not including your brand, the keyword relevance is harmed.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ivan,

I'm sharing an old thread on the same topic. Please check.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-to-improve-quality-score-on-c...

Hope this helps.
Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1st see if they are using your brand KWs in their ad copy. if so report to google as this is not allowed (however they can put it in the display URL)

make sure your brand ad copy is optimized for your brand and included in the copy. 

make sure you don't bid too high or you will price up the prices.

also when trying to bid on competitors KWs, on your landing page you should compare your service (USP) to theirs so that the landing page relevance will go up and less users will bounce. make sure the competitors brand is in the display URL like "compare 123 & abc"

you have to remember that if they want that brand then they will bounce anyway, but if your USPs are good enough then you might convert some.

plus don't just use brand keywords, use "+brand +shoes" or [brand alturnatives]

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ivan,

As mentioned by others, it's normal to have low quality score on Competitors brand keywords. As search intent of most of the people would be that particular brand only. Relevancy of your brand is very less hence the poor quality score.

Here is what I do to make best use of competitor brand keywords:

1. Target the long tail competitor-brand keywords who have good search volume apart from short keywords. I usually get better quality score there and good number of conversions.

2. Include the click -assisted conversions in Adwords while analyzing the performance of competitors-brand keywords. These keywords are primarily brand-introducing keywords. So, their CPA is usually high in comparison to other keywords.

But when you include the click assisted conversions in your CPA calculation, it appears much better. Usually it happens that some people who have come to the site through competitor-brand keywords, later come back to the site through other keywords and make conversion.

Hope that it helps !!