AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to audit if keywords are going to intended adgroups?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi,

Is there an easy way where I can audit the account to see if the search terms are triggering the intended keywords/adgroups?

For example, I have two adgroups (simplifying this so it's easy for you to understand and let's forget the exact match variant thing for a second):

Dental Centre (adgroup age is 12 months, and has average QS of 8)

Dental Center (adgroup age is 6 months, and has average QS of 6)

If someone types in "local dental center", the "Dental Centre" adgroup is being triggered. Ofcoure, if I exclude 'center' in the "Dental Centre" adgroup and vice versa, we have solved the problem.

However, how can I do this in an account of over 50,000 keywords?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: How to audit if keywords are going to intended adgroups?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mark,

Like Sumanth said, the best thing to do is to run the search query report and add columns for keyword and ad group. Also like Sumanth said, it can be pretty tedious. I usually do a couple different things to ease up the legwork. For one, I'll do a pivot table to view the *count* of keywords each search term is matching to. If a search term is matching to multiple keywords then you most likely have an issue. You can do the same analysis to see how many ad groups a search term is mapping to. I typically do this first so that I can see where my problem areas are.

If you want to do a nitty gritty one-to-one analysis, I run the "exact" function in excel to see how many search terms match exactly the keyword. Then I will remove all of those because I know they are matching correctly. That leaves me with a few left to sift through although most terms won't match exactly. I tend to also remove any without many impressions or clicks, unless I have quite a bit of time for manual analysis.

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop
AmyBishopMarketing.com

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
This would be a tedious task with 50,000 keywords. However, how many such similar ad groups would you have? Comparing search terms, with the keyword and ad group column added should give data to work on.
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mark,

Like Sumanth said, the best thing to do is to run the search query report and add columns for keyword and ad group. Also like Sumanth said, it can be pretty tedious. I usually do a couple different things to ease up the legwork. For one, I'll do a pivot table to view the *count* of keywords each search term is matching to. If a search term is matching to multiple keywords then you most likely have an issue. You can do the same analysis to see how many ad groups a search term is mapping to. I typically do this first so that I can see where my problem areas are.

If you want to do a nitty gritty one-to-one analysis, I run the "exact" function in excel to see how many search terms match exactly the keyword. Then I will remove all of those because I know they are matching correctly. That leaves me with a few left to sift through although most terms won't match exactly. I tend to also remove any without many impressions or clicks, unless I have quite a bit of time for manual analysis.

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop
AmyBishopMarketing.com

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks Sumanth and Amy!

Amy, the tips you mentioned are awesome, thanks so much!