AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Tell if a Search Query is Matching Multiple KWs?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there a way to tell if a search query is trying to match more than 1 ad groups  and / or keywords?

I am trying to determine which keywords need to be entered as adgroup negative

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Tell if a Search Query is Matching Multiple KWs?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@taewoo;

In the "pre auction stage" all keywords  within the account that are matched to a search query compete (among themselves). In a nutshell: the keyword with the highest ad rank or in some cases, the  most restrictive KW, will  be the one to enter the auction (with other advertisers), and if wins a slot - will trigger the ad.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Enable your adgroup and keyword columns in the search terms report. Then you can filter by search term, and see if multiple adgroups are triggering for the same query.
Tom

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, taewoo.

Apart from Tom's suggestion, if you're familiar with Excel, you can download a search term report which includes ad groups or keywords and then create a pivot table where you add the search terms and either count(ad group) or count(keyword) and it will show you how many times a search term came up in an ad group or associated with a keyword.

The nice thing about having it all in a table is that you can sort descending by number of occurrences and thus address the most pressing issues first (the keywords that have the highest overlap).

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.