AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Target "Machine Key" but NOT "Key Machine"?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A "machine key" is an industrial part typically used to join a wheel to a shaft.

A "key machine" makes keys for locks.

Yet the Google Keyword Planning tool suggests Google naturally thinks are the same and lumps them into one Keyword group. If you have the tool inspect websites that manufacture "machine keys" Google's suggested keywords indicate the site is about making keys for locks.

In buying our keywords for Adwords, what is the best strategy for targeting "machine key" buyers without getting any "key machine" buyers?

Is there a recommended way for eliminating "key machine" related keywords from resulting in ad clicks?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Target "Machine Key" but NOT "Key Machine&qu

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Jonathan. A phrase match negative keyword -"key machine" will take care of that.

Sorry for the previous mistake (suggesting exact match).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: How to Target "Machine Key" but NOT "Key Machine&qu

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan, and, of course, if you use only Phrase or Exact match Keywords, AdWords will honour the order of the words without using negatives so it'll match the search buy machine key online to the Keyword:

"machine key"

but not to the Keyword:

"key machine"

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits