AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Perform Exact Match Keyword with Location Intent Match?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want an exact match keyword to match if user's search query shows a location intent that is in the campaigns location setting area.  For example, if city "Redmond" is within the campaign location setting I want ad to display "Redmond [exact match keyword]"  Supposedly location intent match is disregarded for all exact match keywords.  Is there any dynamic way of enabling this aside from creating additional multiple variations of the exact match keyword with all possible city names in the location area?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Perform Exact Match Keyword with Location Intent Match?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff C,

No, that's not an option. You can't get the search query, so you'll never see "Redmond".

You could make a separate AdGroup with DKI, but each of your target locations would need to be part of you keyword. DKI inserts the keyword on which you bid, not the search query. I'm not sure how effective this would be. I imagine it would depend on how large your target area is.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Location insertion used to exist but unfortunately does not anymore. Well, I say "unfortunately" but really in my experience it didn't work well - it was not great at detecting the users actual location. You could add geo-modifiers to your keywords and use DKI in that way, though.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, I suppose I could create multiple campaigns and target each for a city location and then put the city name in all the ads.

However I'm wondering if I leave the campaign that is targeting a larger area (county, state) with the same keywords, what does Adwords do?

1) Serve only the add from the campaign with the most specific location target that matches the user's location? (I doubt it.)
2) Serve ads from both the city campaign and the county/state campaign
3) Serve the ad from the keyword ad group with the highest keyword bid? But what if Quality Score differs?

I want the county/state campaign to trigger for anyone in that county/state that isn't in any of the city campaign locations but there's going to be overlap. How does Adwords handle the overlap?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

To answer #1 - AdWords is going to determine which of your eligible (based upon targeting and exclusions) keywords ranks best in the auction based upon bid and QS and then show the ad that is connected through that ad group. If there are multiple ads, the ad will be chosen based upon your ad rotation settings (either your ads will equally rotate, or the highest CTR ad will show, etc, etc depending on rotation settings).

To answer #2, you'll never show two ads at once.

I would add your cities as exclusions in the county/state campaign. That way, if a person is in the city, they will see a city ad. If there is overlap between city/county/state then the city wins because the county/state campaign has the city as an exclusion and will not compete in the auction. If a person is outside of the city, then they will trigger the other campaign.

Hope this helps!

Amy Bishop
AmyBishopMarketing.com

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, it just dawned on me after I posted I could add these cities as exclusions.

Unfortunately, on a relatively young Campaign with not much historical data, each city campaign is going to multiply the admin work. Now I need to decide whether to run the County/State Campaign by itself for a while to get data to adjust the bids and ads to improve conversion and roi, THEN copy the campaign to city campaigns versus having to do all the optimization work upfront across multiple campaigns (there will be less tweaks the older the campaigns are.)

Thanks for the suggestion by the way!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Happy to talk shop! I typically like to do the county/state campaign first to build up data, which helps me to determine which cities are *worth* building out into their own campaigns.

I don't normally share my own articles but I've done a lot of work with geography, so I hope people won't mind if I share a couple things that I think are relevant to what you are working on. I promise not to make it a habit. This is a presentation I did at HeroConf about geographic optimizations earlier this spring. This is a case study I did for a campaign in which I did exactly what you are working on (built up data in a state campaign and then pulled out cities to optimize them more specifically). I hope those help!

Amy Bishop

AmyBishopMarketing.com