AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Perform A/B Testing in Google Adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I want to perform A/B split testing between 2 landing pages at adgroup Level, so that i can identify which landing page is contributing to more conversion.

What are the steps that i need to follow for this?

Thanks for valuable reply in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Perform A/B Testing in Google Adwords?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sandeep,

You can achieve this by creating two identical ad copy in same ad group with different landing pages(same domain) you want to test. apply ad rotation setting to rotate evenly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rahul, how can i monitor then which page is performing better in search? Is it possible to track it in analytic if i enable your suggested method?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rahul, Please have a look what i have found there for Roatate Evenly Option.

"In general, rotating evenly allows ads with lower clickthrough rates and conversion rates to show more often, so this option could result in a lower average position or fewer clicks and conversions."

This option will not suits my need because i need to improve conversion rate.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Take a look at content experiments within Google Analytics...

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745152?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Sandeep,

by monitoring the performance of two ads in adwords you can determine better performer.

Content experiment as suggested by steve is also a better way to test landing pages. only difference is it will test all traffic according to your preference and you cannot test it at ad-group level.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
If your experiment landing pages are only really accessible through your AdWords campaign (and if you want to be really strict about it you can use your robots file or webmaster tools to prevent Google from indexing them) then the amount of non Adwords traffic should be minimal... but, yes, in principal, content experiments will sample all traffic.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@stickleback

Hi,

I have created the A/B testing using google content experiments. Created two landing pages with major difference as headline. I really dont know how exactly it works on adwords campaign. What I have done is, created one adcopy which is directing to original landing page. My understanding is, whoever see the ad by typing concern keywords in google, that URL in turn will divide the traffic among two pages(original & varaition 1). Is that understanding is correct?.

or

Someone please explain me how does it work in adwords.

Thanks,
B.Dhivya

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@stickleback I appreciate your response but I am not sure how I can track the same url pages via this tracking method. I mean to say, in the past I had a landing page but after few months I designed a new landing pages and use that in Adwords but after the redesigning conversions rate lay down so I assume people are not preferring this new page design so I want to do the A/B testing of my new design and old design but both pages has same url with different design structure. So if I follow your suggested steps then how I can track the Adwords conversion for both pages.

Also, someone suggest me to use the same ads copy for different landing pages but I don't think so it is an ethical technique.

Please suggest me best solution.

Thanks in advance.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
If you want to test the two page versions against one another - you have to do it under the same conditions. There may be all kinds of reasons why your original page performed better in the past - seasonal, trends, etc.

Content experiments work by making one page the "original" (in scientific experiment terms this would be the control page) and then the alternate page (the experimental version).

Clearly you cannot use the same url for both. So change the url of one of them (probably best to change the test page). If the original is www.mydomain.landing_page.html - then simply copy the page and rename it www.mydomain.landing_page_test.html for example.

Now you can set up the experiment within Analytics using www.mydomain.landing_page.html as the original and www.mydomain.landing_page_test.html as the variation.

Google will run the experiment by sending a proportion of your traffic to each of the two (or more) pages and measure their performance against whatever you have established as your benchmark conversion. You cannot use your AdWords conversion for this as the experiment has to be run within Analytics - but simply set up a goal to track visits to the page where your AdWords conversion is triggered.

The results will display in terms of the "winner" if one can be identified, and the statistical significance of the decision.