AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Make Sure CPC doesn't exceed Max Bid CPC?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This is for call only mobile campaign.

I tried setting "manual cpc strategy". And i don't see a way to disable enhanced CPC...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Make Sure CPC doesn't exceed Max Bid CPC?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

How do you know it's using Enhanced CPC? With ECPC enabled you would usually see the 'enhanced' text in bracket right bellow the bid amount for individual keywords under Max CPC column. Do you see that?

One more thing, have changed default ad rotation settings? Scroll down to bottom to find Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping. Have you selected Optimize for conversions: Show ads expected to provide more conversions?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks Ratan

1) I do not see enhanced CPC
2) i currently set it for 90 day rotation

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ad rotation has nothing to do with the bidding method. Ad Rotation does not directly influence Avg. CPC values so there is no reason for you , in my opinion , to check ad rotation.

To disable Enhanced CPC if it is activated , go in the campaign "Settings", under "Bid Strategy" click "Edit" (on the left side of the screen) and uncheck the option box "Enable Enhanced CPC" like below :

enhanced-cpc-disable.png

Read more about Enhanced CPC over here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464964?hl=en

--------------------

Are you seeing Avg. CPC values much higher than your MaxCPC values ?

If so you could be having other bid adjustments setup such as : location bid adjustments (See campaign Settings>>Locations) , Schedule bid adjustments or Device bid adjustmen for Mobile.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Okay!  You said you are being charged more than the Max CPC. 

Is your Average CPC more than the Max CPC? If yes -

Do you have any bid multipliers enabled?

Your Average CPC exceeds Max CPC at Ad Group level bid or at keyword level bid?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adrian.. that was what i thought as well regarding ad rotation.

This is a call only campaign.. i don't see that option:

callonly.jpg

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ratan

I put the same max cpc budget on keyword as well as adgroup level (just to make sure) and avg cpc is still higher than BOTH.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian B  - this is about Call-Only campaign, the screenshot you have refereed does not apply here. There's no checkbox for ECPC in such campaigns. 

ECPC does modify ad rotation by default to Optimize for Conversion. This is the reason I asked him to verify it. 

When you choose ECPC, we'll automatically set your ad rotation setting to "optimize for conversions," even if it's currently set to "optimize for clicks."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464964?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

If no bid multipliers are applied and both adgroup and keyword level bids are the same, it is definitely strange to note that Max CPC exceeds Average CPC. Did you make any adjustment to your bids much recently? May be it could not been updated in the system?

If it does not help, I would advise you to connect with the phone support team. It may be an account specific issue. Call-Only Campaigns are a bit newer and I do not see any official material that could hint ECPC being applied by default in such campaigns. 

So, it would be better if you contact support on this. Do update us here if possible Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Taken from message 9 " it is definitely strange to note that Max CPC exceeds Average CPC"

Maybe the other way around ?

Yes,Ratan so if were aware that the ECPC was not available in the Call Only campaigns why did ask him to check if he sees "Enhanced" in brackets below the bid amount ? Smiley Happy

"ECPC does modify ad rotation by default to Optimize for Conversion. This is the reason I asked him to verify it. "

Yes the ECPC optimizes the Ad rotation, but the Ad rotation is modified in the "back end" it is not visible in the interface. So if a user selects "Enhanced CPC" , the user selected "Ad rotation" remains active and available in the interface. So to ask him to check the ad rotation is still pointless .