AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Location Target Within Location Target? Dynamic

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have an ad Campaign with Location targeting set to a county.  I am finding that ads with the users city name perform better than without.  I've setup ad groups withing the County Campaign that if a user enters a city name in the county as part of their search, it shows up in the ad using the dynamic keywords insertion.

However, most of the time the user doesn't enter their city name.  There was something I read about dynamic location insertion but that is only possible if you are using location extensions. I'm not using location extension because this service is a mobile service that goes far beyond the business address.

I want the name of the closest city to the user to automatically be inserted in the ad.

The only way I can thing of to do this is to setup multiple campaigns, each one with a location target for a city and then put the city name in the ad text.  

However I am concerned that location targeting isn't perfect AND there may be locations in the county that "fall through the cracks" not being within one of my city campaign location targets. 

If I have a campaign for the entire county and a campaign for a city within that county, how do I insure only the ad from the city campaign is targeted if the user's location matches both campaign location targets?  Make sure the corresponding keyword bid in the City campaign is higher than the County campaign?  That could be a bit of a management nightmare.  Or will Google only display the ad from the campaign with the most specific target location that matches?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Location Target Within Location Target? Dynamic

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

If you add the cities as location exclusions within the county campaign, that should ensure that the city campaign takes priority and matches to users in cities. Anyone outside of cities can then be matched to the county campaign.

Hope this helps!

Amy Bishop
AmyBishopMarketing.com

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

To add - it isn't necessary to bid higher on all of your city terms just to outrank the county terms if you have the appropriate exclusions, in place. That said, it doesn't hurt to take a look at the geographic report within the dimensions tab and add modifiers for certain areas that perform better (or worse) than others. Hope this helps!

Amy Bishop

AmyBishopMarketing.com

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Jeff C;>>"However I am concerned that location targeting isn't perfect AND there may be locations in the county that "fall through the cracks" not being within one of my city campaign location targets. 

This indeed could happen in countries in which Geo targeting is not perfect, or the telecom infrastructure  is a mix of "old and new" technologies.

What country are you targeting?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’