Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Improve Impression Share

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently undertook a Wordstream review on our Google Adwords account and our despite scoring a 97% performance grade, we had 23% grade for our impression share. We are currently loosing 67% to ad rank. Wordstream recommends that we try and troubleshoot our low impression share but In my opinion, I find what they are suggesting extremely vague.

" You need to troubleshoot your relatively low impression share. The problem could be low budget, low Quality Scores, poor targeting or all three."

Is there any step by step, basic tips on improving our impression share and how to maintain it that anyone could suggest??

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

Great question.

The downside to automated tools like Wordstream's grader is that they can't apply the thinking skills required to know if your impression share is good or bad, and how to improve it.

Losing 67% impression share due to Ad Rank is probably bad, but it depends on what keywords you're targeting. If the keywords you're targeting are very relevant to you, then yes, you will definitely want to improve your Ad Rank and you likely have room to do so.

If you have very broad keywords (e.g. "shoes") you're always going to lose a significant amount of impression share due to low Ad Rank, because you'll never able to be super-competitive on these broad keywords 100% of the time.

How to improve ad rank:

1. Use as many ad extensions as possible.

2. Improve your Quality Score by making your ad text as relevant as possible to your keywords, using compelling messaging in your ad copy to increase CTR, and making your landing pages as relevant to your keywords and ad copy as possible.

3. Increase your bids where you can do so profitably.

I hope that helps!

John

Re: How to Improve Impression Share

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Apparently it can be any of the 3 . low budget, low Quality Scores, poor targeting or all three."

Most times it is always Low Budget . 

Let me share with you a basic explanation which i feel it will help ;

1. Low Budget : When you set your budget there are two models , Accelerated or Standard Ads delivery.

To Shed light to why you might have a low impression share in Low budget you have to understand the two models for delivering Ads , then know which one you are using .

• - Accelerated Ads delivery : In this case your Ads will be shown more often but your budget will get exhausted quickly if people Click on your Ads based on Pay Per Click (PPC) way of Advertising.

•  Standard Ads delivery - In this case you might is a low impression Share Because your Ads won't show often compared to your Competitors on the Search Auction . Standard delivery only displays your Ads when the system feels its more Prominent . That might be a reason you are loosing Impression Share !

Based on the above i don't think you have anything to worry about , your Competitors are big business and they have a lot of Budget to run Campaigns. So there impression share can be more then yours . But if your feel you want to appear more, then Increase your Budget and use the Accelerated delivery mode . Increasing Bids might also help !

2. Low Quality Score : This issue should be critically looked into , for me your keyword quality score should be 8/10 or 10/10 . It will help you improve Ads Rank and Reduce Cost per Click (CPC) .

• -How to Improve Quality Score ? This is the Solution to the Low quality score .

1. Arrange your Campaign, Ad groups in themes and make sure they are relevant.

2. Remove or move keywords with quality score less than 8/10 . They are not helping your account.

3. Negative keywords has to be watched too .

4 . Make sure you have good and relevant landing page that can aid User Experience

Poor targeting : If your Competitors are targeting the whole country and you later started target smaller geographical location , then your share impressions will be lesser but its nothing to worry about .

Final Advice : Don't worry your self about Share impression , worry about your own Click - through - rate , Clicks ,Impression and Cost Per Click .

Make sure you are using the best Practice and Relevant Ads . You should not worry about Shared impression with your Competitors . Because they can show more often on the auction and you might be doing better than them when you have a shared impression .

Hope this helps , you can shed more light for further assistance! Cheers!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Flourish And Nourish N;

Impression share  could be a misleading metric due to the broad "estimate number of auctions  your ad was eligible to participate" (the denominator. )

I would first look at the exact match impression share, which is a more accurate  measurement to performances? - What's the value if this metric?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Flourish And Nourish N I agree with @MosheTLV, exact match impression share would be more accurate metric.

Also, 67% lost due rank may be not a problem if you are losing impressions from keywords which are not profitable. I would suggest focusing your optimization efforts on keywords which are giving you sales. 

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

Another thing you can try is changing your Delivery method to "Accelerated" the Recommended setting is "Standard" however if you have a higher daily budget and set to Accelerated your ad should show all day long. (as long as you have budget and your ad is showing)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

How would I view this metric on Adwords?

Many Thanks,

James 

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

To View, Delivery method be sure your campaign is set to All Features. click on settings and scroll down about half way down the page. Click on Delivery method and then edit

Delivery method.png

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I disagree with @Terry Crowder on that: impression share due to rank is not affected by the delivery method.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not that fond of using accelerated delivery, except for very special-case situations. It can quickly consume your daily budget in a burst of activity.  Standard delivery attempts to meter your ads evenly throughout the day, which also provides some protection against malicious behavior. 

There are some markets where most of the conversions come in during a certain time of day, but even those are likely better served by controlling the ad schedule and budget. 

I only use accelerated delivery when I am aggressively buying every click i can get my hands on, and then want to buy MORE.  

But just an fyi and to each, their own. This isn't a perfect or completely observable science; there are some things that only Google's top engineers know the real answer to.  And even they may be wondering sometimesSmiley Happy