AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How to Exclude Long Tail Keywords? (suggestion)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

We are running more than 10.000 AdWords accounts and we often face with long tail search terms on search term report. We believe these terms are spam and coming from rival advertisers.  This is a common situation especially in Car Rental ads. Although we'd like to exclude these keywords adwords doesn't allow us to exclude more than 10 keywords. Solutions such as adding exact and broad match negatives are not useful. Rivals may use another combination and trigger our ads again.

fake.png
Example search term: "izmir rent a car auto renting vehicle rent automobile rent tourism"     ???? Can't be an organic person.

Sadly, this is a common circumstance in Turkey.

It should be an option like if seach term contains more than >8 words exclude and don't show ad automaticly.

I hope I am clear. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Exclude Long Tail Keywords? (suggestion)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Can B.

Is that really a search term? Are you sure your ads are not showing on Search Partners as well? If your ads run on the Search Partners websites as well, what you may think is a search term is actually the title of that page. It happens with Amazon, for instance, a lot, where I've seen many search terms consisting of a large number of words.

On the other hand, I don't think anybody wanting to waste your budget would resort to such specific search terms, when they can use others, less specific.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Calin,
Yes. It is a common search term in rent a car ads. This guerilla behaviour is a kind of trend between company owners. One of our customers, has made a confession about he usually clicks his rivals ads In order to decrease their budget. Sad but true.
They combine all words, click all ads, then combine again ... so we'cant exclude and take precaution about this.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
One thing you can do, in case these clicks are manual (and not coming from a bot network who may not set cookies) is to create a negative audience from people who already clicked your ads during the current day. You set the list duration at 1 day, include all people who visited your website coming from a paid campaign (you'll need Google Analytics for that) and add it as a negative audience in your search campaign.

That way if I search for something, see your ad and click back and try to search again, I won't see your ad anymore.

The bad thing might be that if I simply click back and then click the ad again and again, it will still use up your budget (and after that most likely Google will detect the fraudulent behavior and you won't be charged).

However, if you further develop this tactic and your competition is not that web savvy, you can create an excluded audience from browsers who have clicked your ads and bounced and give it an even longer duration.

When doing this, if I click your ad today and bounce and then I click it again tomorrow and bounce again, you can prevent me from seeing your ad for a week or more, for instance.

However, you'll need to be careful with this because you might lose some interested potential customers who click an ad, click back, check another offer, click back and so on.

Another tactic, though more risky, is to check what amount of clicks are usually detected as invalid and to try to raise your daily budget until your competition no longer uses it up. Then all you need to care about is your profit at the end of the day. So even if your competition eats up 50 dollars more in one day, if you close the day with a higher profit than the previous day, you should be safe. But if the daily cost goes up a lot without you getting a lot of business, it may mean that you got more fraudulent clicks and Google did not manage to keep its accuracy when detecting them.

That's what crossed my mind so far, I presume others will chime in as well in order to enlarge the pool of ideas.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Can B further to @AdWiser's excellent advice, I regret to say that the very nature of online advertising makes it very difficult to prevent this kind of abuse.  Anything that shows your Ads to the people you do want, also means they can be seen by the people you don't want.  For example, even if there were a way to not show Ads for queries with more than 8 words (there isn't, apart from only using exact matches), your competitors would then start using 7 word searches, etc.

Do you get any refunds for invalid clicks?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not sure about we get the exact refund for their clicks @Jon_Gritton since as i mentioned above they change the query and PC's. (except invalid click policy) . You are right , at that point they'd use 7 words but a word limit may prevent these clicks because we can't integrate all adwords accounts with Analytics @AdWiser. Thank you both for your recommendations.