AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How soon does Quality Score recover after 130 impressions no clicks?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I had quite a few keywords with QS of 10 and CTR of 4-10%. These were long tail words such as "metronome download" and "metronome software" and "Visual metronome".

I thought with those so strong, I'd have a go at the higher profile word: metronome (on its own), which I have tried in the past with no success, but with a higher QS it seemed achievable.

I ran it for just a few minutes. During that time it accumulated about 130 impressions and no clicks. 

After that, my lowest QS had gone down to 3 from 4, with many words QS 3, and my highest QS over the entire account was 7 with just a handful of 7s.

So that short experiment had an immediate impact on the QS of all the long tail words that used "metronome".

Since then I have disabled all the keywords that appear at anything below position 1 or 1.1 or so, and kept only keywords with a CTR of over 4% or ones that haven't had enough data yet to establish a CTR.

How long will it take to recover to the previous situation of 10s for  many of my words? Why is it so sensitive to such a small number of impressions on the main word? The total number of impressions on all the words for this campaign since Dec 2012 is 5,607. 

I had no idea that just 130 impressions without a click would be enough to make such a difference to the QS. It means that now I have had to stop showing ads for "buy metronome" because they go to position 2 and get fewer clicks which I am pretty sure will reduce the QS after this experience with "metronome". They used to be position 1 approx.

Is it worthwhile to spend out a fair bit in a short time, to try to get lots of impressions at a high CTR quickly?

Or is it better to .leave the campaign trickling over for a while at a low number of impressions per day but high CTR in hope that the QS will recover?

I am just on the cusp of being able to advertise in this way. At the moment am probably paying out more than I get by income (It is hard to be sure because many sales are by recommendation of friends so some of the adwords sales must lead to more sales), but if I can reduce the CPC a bit more then probably it will pay for itself. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How soon does Quality Score recover after 130 impressions no click

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Robert, quite a lot to go through there.  

How old is this account?  How long have you been advertising with the 10/10 Keywords?  You seem to be doing a lot of very rapid changes and I have to say that's not a good policy with AdWords.  Firstly reporting is nowhere near real-time and really I don't recommend examining data on any change until it's run for at least 24 hours.

Pretty much any single word is going to trigger a very large number of impressions very rapidly and is unlikely to have a good Quality Score.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Robert;

In addition to Jon's answer:

Quote:

>>>"I had no idea that just 130 impressions without a click would be enough to make such a difference to the QS."

Remember that QS is recalculated every time a keyword is taking part in an auction. The value show on the Adwords UI is an average value.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Robert, quite a lot to go through there.  

How old is this account?  How long have you been advertising with the 10/10 Keywords?  You seem to be doing a lot of very rapid changes and I have to say that's not a good policy with AdWords.  Firstly reporting is nowhere near real-time and really I don't recommend examining data on any change until it's run for at least 24 hours.

Pretty much any single word is going to trigger a very large number of impressions very rapidly and is unlikely to have a good Quality Score.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Robert;

In addition to Jon's answer:

Quote:

>>>"I had no idea that just 130 impressions without a click would be enough to make such a difference to the QS."

Remember that QS is recalculated every time a keyword is taking part in an auction. The value show on the Adwords UI is an average value.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Robert,

I have to disagree with one of Moshe's statements here, "The value show on the Adwords UI is an average". That's not true. Just as QS is calculated for each search query, QS is calculated each time you review your keywords in the AdWords UI. QS can change throughout the day. THe Qs you do see in the UI is always based on exact match, no matter the match type of the keyword.

One keyword with 130 impressions and no clicks does not affect the QS of your other keywords in the ad group, campaign or even in your account. The initial QS for a keyword takes into account the overall account and campaign performance and also considers performance history of that keyword across all accounts. The history of that keyword withing the ad group begins to affect its QS once it has 1000 or more impressions.

It seems you have perhaps done something else in the account at the same time. Or maybe your 10/10 QS keywords reached the 1000 impression mark and your history is taking over. It is really hard to tell without more information. Did you put up new ad copy? Change your landing page? Rearranged AdGroups within your campaign?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Pete;

How would you interpret the following sentence about the QS shown on the UI?

"...Rather than showing you different Quality Scores throughout the day, we show you a single Quality Score that gives you an estimate of that keyword's overall quality."

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

My understanding for an "estimate" is: an average value +- the standard deviation (calculated based on "exact match").

I intentionally  did not get into how QS is calculated  (i.e exact match, CTR...etc...) -  not to get the user confused...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, to fill in the details. I last ran this campaign in 2010 and gave up quickly, it cost too much.

This new go at it started mid January,

I had a better idea what to do, keeping a close eye on any keywords with CTR below about 2% and stopped them immediately - and achieved some 10s early on. 

Since then, for several weeks, just running a short campaign from time to time, and had quite a few words that stayed at 10s all the time (mixed in with 9s, 7s, 6s, 5s and 4s).

I'm not sure how long the 10s were there as I didn't note down and Google doesn't seem to show historical data for QS for the keywords (or does it??). But several weeks anyway.

One time before the number of 10s did drop. That was when I dropped India from the list of countries, a few other changes, but that's the thing I wondered about then, if it might be the cause.

This time though it was much more dramatic - I have the QS displayed, and had several 10s (not sure how many, but quite a few), and was keeping a close eye on it at the time.

All I did was to run my ads on the word "metronome" for a few minutes. Not sure how long, didn't time it, but probably a lot less than an hour. During that time, 130 impressions accumulated with no clicks.

After that, I had no 10s left on my account. Only 7s. Also loads of 3s, like pages of them when you sort by QS, about 30 or 40 of them.

I didn't do anything else.I ran it for "metronome", [metronome] and metronome.

I had another account before this one, many years ago now, that got completely trashed, everything 3s and 4s kind of thing, I didn't understand why at the time but now wonder if it might have been because of the word metronome again. That time, there was no way to recover as I couldn't afford to pay enough to get the ads to run at all. So, I just deleted the account and started again which fixed it. I know you aren't supposed to do it but it was either that or stop using Adwords.

Just about the only word I'm interested in is metronome and long tail versions of it since I am selling a software metronome, and there are very few other words that users search for that don't involve the word metronome at some point in the phrase.

Is that clearer? My account is running now at an average of 7.17% CTR for the last couple of days, that's for 223 impressions - so managing a pretty good CTR. So am optimistic of some recovery eventually. But so far the number of 7s has increased by one, from seven to eight sevens, and still have loads of 3s. The metronome trashing thing happened at the end of last week, then I tried to recover for one day but it obviously wasn't going to, so I paused it and have just resumed it again and attempting recovery.

The CPC is 57p for the last few days, and actually that's not been impacted that much by the change.

The reason it is important for me is that I am selling a low price product (typical sale $29.99) and only a small percentage convert, am pretty sure that I'm not yet breaking even yet at that price and hope to reduce the CPC further. Seems that having lots of 10s as I had before and increasing the overall quality of the account may do that.

While the dramatic reduction removing all the 10s when I ran the word "metronome" reminded me of the last time something like that happened when in a fairly short time the whole account became unusable.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Pete,

I didn't change anything else at all. Just ran the word metronome.

I just did this as a small one off experiment to see if I had any chance with metronome. It went right to the top of the first page for metronome, above Amazon which I was pleased with, and was hopeful of success.

But then when I looked again a few minutes later (can't say how long exactly, did a bit of work in between and then had another look) and saw all the 10s were gone. Also my ads were already below the first page bid for "metronome". and it had had 170 impressions with no clicks.

Only one of my long tail metronome keywords has gone over 1000 impressions, that's [metronome download] and that's only if I include the results from 2010. If I leave out the 2010 results, then the largest number of impressions is for software metronome at 538 impressions.

What happens if they go over 1000?

I think that a low QS for a keywords must change the QS for all the long tail words that include that keyword, and do so very quickly for some reason. 

I had only just added the word metronome on its own to this campaign. I have tried it in other campaigns, but only for a few hundred impressions in total in all the campaigns. 

BTW I see from the data, it was 170 impressions for [metronome] not 130, sorry, mis-remembered the exact number. Plus 56 impressions for "metronome" and 53 for metronome. Those were all accumulated in that same short time period.

All those words dropped to 3s which puts them below the first page bid for a £1.00 bid, don't want to go higher than that.

Average position 1.5 for that time period.

Anything else I can check to help explain it?

I find the QS can change at any time of day in my experience, and seems to change instantly rather than with a lag, often anyway.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pete,

Oh I see you explain about the 1000 impressions. But it's my experience that the history of a keyword affects its quality score long before 1000 impressions. Just running a campaign for a few days at high CTR with very few impressions changes the quality score of all the keywords for the campaign, that happened early on when I started to get those 10s.

Perhaps you mean individually though. I.e. just seems to change them all, and the actual words you are running, even if high performing, don't get their QS adjusted so ones that are high performing often have a much lower QS than the low performing ones.

Is it possible that similarly, Google adds up the history of all the long tail words in your account, so though individually they don't have 1000 impressions, if they all are long tail words for "metronome" and collectively they have 1000 impressions, then they begin to make a difference to the overal QS for all words that involve the word metronome?

Still doesn't explain why with all the other keywords doing high CTRs - if you add up 170 + 56 + 53, nowhere near 1000 impressions for just metronome, and didn't make a significant difference to the average CTR, except a little bit, just for that day.

If I add up all the impressions for metronome across all the campaigns, then I get 1589 impressions, with just 3 clicks - that's over the entire time period back to 2010. This is for the google searches, not the search partners or content network. I did a separate try with the content network but am ignoring that.. Also did a youtube video campaign some weeks back, am ignoring those impressions too.

Also where does the "1000 impressions" come from. Is that an emprical observation, or have Google stated it as a policy?

Thanks,

Robert

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Robert;

I am a bit lost with all the numbers you have provided; Two point to note:

• Average is a misleading figure/ value. (Both for "average campaign CTR and average ad-rank): What is the average of positions 4+2?  As long as Google does not report the standard deviation -  the "average" (statistically speaking ) is meaningless.
    So, when looking at CTR you need to check the one for a given KW (not for an "average" for an  account or campaign).

• The other point is -  to my view - though, I have no clear explanation - there are fields, no matter the high (value) CTR  KWs get, it is almost impossible to get a good QS. (I have found that in the services sector: lawyers; accounts etc...) My explanation is that these fields are so competitive that the QS is "relative". (Could be "relative" to the exact match of the same KW running on other campaigns...- but I am not sure about that)

-Moshe

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Moshe,

I've kept the minimum CTR at least 2% since the start of the campaign. Most of the time recently it's been over 4% for most of the words that show more than a few impressions.

My minimum CTR for yesterday is 7.32% for 107 impressions (with 10 impressions for other words with no clicks).

Yes I understand that - the reason that many of these words are QS 4 or 5 must be  for historical reasons for other advertisers, can't be anything to do with my account because the words are highly relevant to the website and get a good CTR, the ones I leave running. 

Nevertheless I did get 10s, lots of them. Up to the end of last week, I still had several 10s on the account. Not sure how many, but at least half a dozen 10s, maybe more.

They all vanished suddenly over just a few minutes, when I added the word metronome to the campaign as a single word.

They were all replaced by 7s (not even any 9s left).

I didn't take a note of which words had the 10s. But did note down a few words plus CTR

[download metronome] 6/10 

"metronome download" 7/10
"download metronomes 6/10
time signature metronome 4/10
metronome for windows 7/10

Now those are

[download metronome] 4/10
"metronome download" 4/10 
"download metronomes" 5/10
time signature metronome 5/10
metronome for windows 4/10

As you see, most have dropped by 2 or 3 points - though time signature metronome has increased by 1 point.

Wish I had more records of the QS before the experiment.

But it was dramatic, almost all the keywords dropping in QS like that by 2 or 3 points, over a very short period of time, and the only thing I did was to add these keywords to the campaign

metronome

"metronome"

[metronome]

and run them for a total of 170 + 56 + 53 = 279 impressions altogether.

Is that clearer?

I thought it would surely recover after a day or so of high CTR, but it hasn't, even after several days of high CTR. I could try running it with a slightly higher budget in an effort to change things, but don't want to waste the money if it won't make any difference, and it might be it is better to just leave it ticking over do as I am doing now and just run it for a few days from time to time to see if it picks up again.. 

Robert