AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How smart is Google in regards to keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Community!,
I just started my adwords campaign this past Tuesday (4 days ago). I notice I am not receiving many clicks and I was wondering what Google considers relevant keywords?

Here is my current status:
I offer business plan templates for various industries. To try Google Adwords I am attempting Adwords search only for my Food Truck Business Plan Template. 

So for my first campaign I offer Food Truck business plan Templates in MS word format. My keywords currently are Food Truck Business Plan template, Business plan for food truck...etc. However when I use the keyword tool it provides me suggestions such as "Buy a Food Truck", "Where to Buy a Food Truck", "Food Truck for sale", "cost to buy a food truck" etc. Which to me makes sense since most individuals seeking to buy a food truck may need a Food Truck Business Plan Template or at least may be interested in a business plan template as they are seeking to buy a food truck and may need a business plan for doing so.

With that in mind here is my question:
Does Google understand that those seeking to Buy a Food Truck would be interested in a Food Truck Business Plan Template? Or will Google only see "Buy a Food Truck" look at my site and see that I offer a "Food Truck Business plan template" and those words/content do not match  'Buy a Food Truck" and hence will give it a low keyword rating?  Does that make sense? 

Should I pursue these types of "Buy Food Truck", "Food Truck for Sale",  "How to start a food truck". keywords?  
Please bear with me as I just started Adwords a few days ago and this is all still very new to me.
Any guidance or suggestions will be appreciated. 
Thank You!
 Shawn

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How smart is Google in regards to keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hן @Shawn C;

Google does not (yet...) in the mind of the user... Well, not yet Smiley Surprised

So, the system matches a search term (aka a query) to  a keyword,  and based on this match, the keyword might (if wins a slot) trigger the ad.

To help you understand the intent of users within your business, Google offers the search terms report, which shows you which search terms trigger (and clicked) your ad(s). Based on that, you can optimize your keywords list. (Usually by adding negative keywords, or by removing keywords that are matched to search terms irrelevant to your business.)

Read more about the search terms report :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Shawn,

The "keyword rating", aka Quality Score, is made up of three components: expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience. Even though your website doesn't contain content for buying food trucks there should not be a significant drop in the landing page component of your quality score given that there is food truck content.

What I would be more worried about is the ad relevance and expected clickthrough rate when bidding on "buy food truck" keywords. While the customers searching the terms may be relatively qualified, your ad copy will state that you provide business plans which is not the intent of their search and will have a lower clickthrough rate than other more relevant ads/sites.
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shawn C
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
There are going to be all kinds of people who might be interested in your food truck template - so let's try and break them down into groups. The top level would be those people who have already got a food truck and those that have not... but are thinking about buying one.

The message in your ads, and the message on the landing page should be very different for these two top level groups. Just tink about the first paragraph on the landing page... or even the headline - one would say something like: Struggling to make your food truck make money? whereas the other might say something like : Thinking of buying a food truck - here's what you need to know...

Immediately we can see that the keywords can be readily segmented by these two groups.

And that the landing pages for each would (should) be very different in their approach. As would the ad copy... and the closer you get to the searcher's intent the better CTR you are likely to have. With a little thought, the QS for the keywords in each group should improve (and remember to use negatives to push the searcher into the right group - so in the campaign aimed at people who already have a truck, exclude the words "buy", "buying", "starting", "investing" and so on...

Once you have broken your keywords into these two broad groups, there will be more segmentation that will occur to you... your search query reports will help. Look at what people are actually searching for and then tailor your campaigns accordingly.