AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How long does it take for AdWords Campaign to Pick Up from sleep?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Due to some technical issue my website was down for 48 hours. I realized the issue quite late, till then the ads were running. I then paused all my campaigns from 10 am on day one and switched them on at 5 PM on day two. That was once the website was fully functional. I did it to aviod bad user expereince and off course budget consumption.

However, my traffic is just not picking up to what it was before. There is a drop of 40% in traffic since then. It has been more than 4 days, the traffic is not picking up and nrither the sales :-(.

1) How long does it take for ads to pick up once it has been stopped for few hours

2) How long does it take if I make changes to the ads, and to see the changes if its working or not working.

Thanks,

Chris.

P.S: website issue was 404 erros as the domain was pointing to two diff IPs, we changed the IP and it took time.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How long does it take for AdWords Campaign to Pick Up from sleep?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris13, there shouldn't really be any delay or change.  It's quite common for Groups/Campaigns to be paused then restarted.  I suspect there's something else at work here.

What's the Quality Score of your Keywords?  Did you change anything else on your site - anything at all?  Did you actually move servers?

Ads become available to display on Google Search when they have a status of "Eligible" and everywhere when that status becomes "Approved".  Eligible can happen almost instantly, Approved may take up to a day or so (but equally can happen very quickly).  Once Ads are available to display, how often they're displayed will depend upon your Ad Rotation settings.  If you have a large number of Ads and you're using any kind of automated optimisation then they may not show as often as they could.  I usually like to set my rotation settings to "Rotate evenly" when I'm adding new Ads.

Bear in mind as well that AdWords reporting is not real time, it's at least 2 hours old, sometimes more.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jon,

The quality scores is good ... around 8 or 9/10.

Yes the servers were moved, IP address were changed in DNS records.

Does it really make a lot of difference.

Thanks

Chris

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, it depends on the server Smiley Happy  I'm wondering if there's been a hit to your landing page load time, but that really should be reflected in your Quality Score.

I've not really got any other ideas, I'm afraid, I'll ask for support from my colleagues.  I don't think it can be a coincidence that you had your Ads pointing to a 404 for some time so that seems a likely answer to the cause, I would just have thought that the performance would have returned by now.

What sort of daily impressions/clicks do you see across the Acccount?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello.

Here's another scenario: "while you were sleeping" Smiley Happy, the competition managed to get very good CTR (because your ads were not competing) and they are now beating you more often.

How do impressions and average position look before and after the outage? You say the drop is in traffic, but you can easily have the same impressions, lower CTR and less clicks (traffic).

Could this be the case?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Thanks for the response, here are the observations of before and after

Before: CPC 4.2

After: CPC 5.6

Before CTR 3.0

After CTR 2.85

Before: Search Impression Share 39.22

After: Search Impression Share 30

Before Average Position 2.5

After Average Position 2.5

The search impression share is alarming as well as the CPC

Thanks,

Chris

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello.

Take your top performing keywords and use Auction Insights to see how you're stacking against your competition. Keyword by keyword (hopefully they're not many).

Your QS may have stayed the same, but if the competition gets to the top more often than you you can bet they also get better CTR, so you need to first make sure your ads are catchier than your competition's and maybe even raise your bids for a while.

Better yet, you can create a campaign experiment and test, both higer bids and different ads.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.