Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How keyword trigger which ad to show?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have a query related to keywords in an ad group which triggers another ad. For eg i have an ad group themed for property for sale, all related keywords are in this ad group for property for sale & ads are created accordingly. 

The same keyword which was supposed to trigger the ad from this (property for sale) ad group but it is not. 

Please can anyone help in this regard. 

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: How keyword trigger which ad to show?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Fahad,

If you want all property keywords to trigger from "Property for sale" adgroup, you need add property or "property for sale" as negative keyword in other adgoups. Because for example you have adgroup "House for sale" and in this adgroup all keywords are related to house. But if someone is searching for house property for sale, house for sale property etc your ad will trigger from this adgroup depending on match types you are using for keywords. If you can give some example of keywords and search terms triggering we can shed some more light on structure for campaign.

As Moshe mentioned above to block cross adgroup triggering and reduce competition among adgroups - Add across adgroup negative keyword.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Here you are;
This is a bit complex topic. Some reading is recommended.
"How similar keywords match to search terms"
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks MosheTLV - I have read through, need to reorganize the campaign structure else it will be very difficult to control now & in future.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Agree. I would avoid - as much as possible - similar keywords in different ad-groups or campaigns, or use a negative keywords to block competition.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Surprise is i have used that keyword with any of the match in other ad group. However created a seperate ad group with all property keywords & ads but still it triggers a wrong adgroup ad.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Fahad,

If you want all property keywords to trigger from "Property for sale" adgroup, you need add property or "property for sale" as negative keyword in other adgoups. Because for example you have adgroup "House for sale" and in this adgroup all keywords are related to house. But if someone is searching for house property for sale, house for sale property etc your ad will trigger from this adgroup depending on match types you are using for keywords. If you can give some example of keywords and search terms triggering we can shed some more light on structure for campaign.

As Moshe mentioned above to block cross adgroup triggering and reduce competition among adgroups - Add across adgroup negative keyword.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Neha,

I have done exactly the same as per Moshe suggestion to add negatives. Its working fine now Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Fahad S;

If the wrong keyword still triggers the ad it means that it has a higher ad rank. Either higher the bid, OR,  in the other ad-group,  add a  the same keyword with different match type as a negative keyword.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
OK, I replied a bit late. I see you worked it out, following Neha's reply.
Good luck with your campaign.