AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How is the QS for a MBM keyword in SKAG with EM Negative calcutaled?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Google stated that "We only use the exact match data on Google Search to determine the QS for keywords."
(see https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/What-are-the-main-components-in-Qua...

Now i have a SKAG with only one Keyword: '+a +b'

I also added one Negative: [a b]

Given that Google only uses exact match data, how does Google determine the QS for Keyword '+a +b' ?

thanks again for all the support,

Nils

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How is the QS for a MBM keyword in SKAG with EM Negative calcutale

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

When Google says they only use exact match data, what they mean is they only use the data for any keyword as if it were in exact match - regardless of the actual match type so even though you have the exact match version as a negative, the QS calculation ignores that

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@stickleback thanks. So if i add the EM version as a Negative, there will be no exact matches for the MBM keyword, so no data to calcutale QS, right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Nope - you're missing the key point... it doesn't matter what you do to block the keyword or what match type you use - Google will calculate the QS based on what would happen if the keyword were set in exact match... irrespective of anything else - so it doesn't make any difference if you have a negative exact keyword blocking it - it will still get a QS based on this assumption.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks for clarifying Steve !

So i guess the answer to my question is that QS is calculated the same way, just without the actual CTR data that exact matches would provide.

Am i correct?

thanks again