AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How is the QS for a MBM keyword in SKAG with EM Negative calcutaled?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Google stated that "We only use the exact match data on Google Search to determine the QS for keywords."
(see https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/What-are-the-main-components-in-Qua...

Now i have a SKAG with only one Keyword: '+a +b'

I also added one Negative: [a b]

Given that Google only uses exact match data, how does Google determine the QS for Keyword '+a +b' ?

thanks again for all the support,

Nils

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How is the QS for a MBM keyword in SKAG with EM Negative calcutale

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

When Google says they only use exact match data, what they mean is they only use the data for any keyword as if it were in exact match - regardless of the actual match type so even though you have the exact match version as a negative, the QS calculation ignores that

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@stickleback thanks. So if i add the EM version as a Negative, there will be no exact matches for the MBM keyword, so no data to calcutale QS, right?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Nope - you're missing the key point... it doesn't matter what you do to block the keyword or what match type you use - Google will calculate the QS based on what would happen if the keyword were set in exact match... irrespective of anything else - so it doesn't make any difference if you have a negative exact keyword blocking it - it will still get a QS based on this assumption.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks for clarifying Steve !

So i guess the answer to my question is that QS is calculated the same way, just without the actual CTR data that exact matches would provide.

Am i correct?

thanks again