1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How is my ranked #2 ad blocked from showing on top of page even bidding at $99

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When there are only two ads, with mine being #2 showing on bottom of page, I can usually move my ad to show on top with the competition by increasing my Max CPC bidding amount; testing with Ad Preview and Diagnosis .

With one particular keyword, I'm unable to move my ad to top of page even increasing Max CPC to $99 when testing. What I don't understand is that my ad is #2, there are no #3 ~ #4 on top of page ahead of me. What prevented my ad from moving up even when I set Max CPC to $99?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How is my ranked #2 ad blocked from showing on top of page even bidding at $99

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rick,

My first though is that you perhaps did not allow for enough time to pass so that the bid increase to $99 can take effect. Otherwise consider that your competitor might be using an automated bid strategy: target search page location or target outranking share. Finally, an easy explanation might be; if that particular stubborn keyword of yours is way too irrelevant to the ad copies in the ad group, in comparison to to your competitor' case OR he bids even higher OR a combination of the last 2 factors. (Factor in that the all decisive Ad Rank is calculate as Quality Score multiplied by Bid value.)

Best,
Lakatos

Re: How is my ranked #2 ad blocked from showing on top of page even bidding at $99

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

Change value of Max CPC takes effect quite quickly. I tested on showing ad changing Max CPC to $0.1; within 30sec it becomes non-showing, changing to $5 it become showing again in 30sec. So This isn’t the issue.

Not sure if Google decides placing additional ad on top of page with #1 advertiser only if (quality factor) x (Max CPC) is within some range. My keyword quality factor is 6/10, I even tested setting Max CPC to $500 and clicking Preview for up to a minute, still could not see my ad move to top of page with competitor’s ad. Very strange; not sure what’s happening.

Rick

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Rick,

I think that bids of $99 or $500 are outlying values and I am not sure we should expect the same things to happen that we are familiar with and used to within a usual range of values. QS =6/10 is good but not particularly high and the same value at your competitor's end may perhaps be 10/10. That could make a huge difference in the Ad Rank.

Best,
Lakatos

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Supposedly you can't show above another ad if they are running more ad extensions than you. I haven't seen this in reality yet, but it could be the answer.