AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How is location attributed when both interest and location apply?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question that didn't find in any AdWords help page.

How does AdWords attribute location when both interest and location apply?

I am asking it because running a users location report and a geographic report I found the following:

User Location Report:

Clicks from France: 238

Clicks from Others: 12

Geographic report:

Clicks from France (physical location): 140

Clicks from France (location of interest): 86

Clicks from Others (physical location): 1

Clicks from Others (location of interest): 23

I suspect AdWords sometimes attributes location of interest when it could really apply both.

Can you confirm me that and tell me when exactly if possible?

Many thanks,

Alberto.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How is location attributed when both interest and location apply?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Alberto;

Correct;

If your  advanced location  setting is set to the default "people in my location, show interest about my location or search about the location",  once a user outside France shown an  intent about a location in France (by including the location's  name in the search query) -  the ad could be triggered. (Assuming high enough ad-rank).

For example: if I am planning a trip to Paris and search for "bed and breakfast  in Paris" - I am showing an intent about Paris, and the ad could be shown.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for your answer.

What about when someone inside France shows intent about a location in France? Where does Google place the click when running a Geographic report?

According to the data I am showing in my first message, Google would sometimes place the click in location of interest when both apply.

Could you tell me what is the rule to attribute the click to one or the other?

thanks,

Alberto.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Unlikely that a user physically in France includes France within the search query. Users ask short queries.

Regardless of that the Geo report has two metrics, which do not overlap;

• What triggered your ad (geographic): Shows your customers' physical locations, or locations that they had shown interest in through searches or content they had viewed.
  • Where your users were (user locations): Shows only your customers' physical locations, regardless of any locations they may have shown interest in.

So, in your hypothetical  case the click will be counted in both metrics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your answer.

I have checked and clicks have not been counted in both metrics. Numbers of clicks matches with the total in others reports. I think in the travel industry it is fairly common to see users searching for France or other areas in France, from France. I just don't know why the click sometimes is counted as Interest when the user is located in France.

Regards