AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How does target & bid reflect in reporting?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Suppose I have two GDN campaigns for lead generation: one for discovery and one for managed placement (i.e. known converting sites).

Suppose I am targeting men 35-45 on desktop living in Canada who are parents and are interested in technology. Plus I set keywords  in the adgroups.

In flexible bidding, i would set "target and bid" for age, gender, parental status, and interest/remarketing.

Now, i let the campaign run for few weeks and I start seeing conversions.

Here's how I understand the conversion numbers that show up on my dashboard.

1) if I am looking at the Display Network => Display Keywords tab

That this is the keywords that actually matched the placements and there by, my ad was shown and the user came and signed up.

2) if I am looking at the Display Network => Placements tab

That this is the placement that (from point #1) that matched that keyword

3) so on for age, gender, interest, etc. 

But sometimes I notice that this is NOT the case. In fact, I would see the display keywords section and it would show X conversions, but when I sort by keyword conversions, i see that they're ALL zero.

This happens for other targeting as well.

Two questions:

1) is my understanding of target and bid incorrect?

2) how do you extrapolate the "Venn diagram intersection" of various targeting that drove the conversions?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author taewoo
June 2016

Re: How does target & bid reflect in reporting?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It will only counted ONCE, in the total conversions, but in a breakdown will be shown on the topics AND the display keywords.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@taewoo;

Not sure I understand the scenario, but in target and bid, the AND condition applies. This is shown in the Venn diagram   when choosing target and bid.  In other words: you target the overlapping audience (for example:  target and bid for Topics and Keyworrds:  the ad will appear  - if wins a slot- on pages with content about the theme of the keywords within the sites listed under the topic chosen).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @MosheTLV

So if I do get a conversion from that overlap, does that conversion show up in BOTH the kw tab as well as the topics tab?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author taewoo
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It will only counted ONCE, in the total conversions, but in a breakdown will be shown on the topics AND the display keywords.