AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How does adwords bidding work on page 2 of search result?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see most of my competitors show up for a search on page 1 and again on page 2. This would mean that their bid is not low enough to be "below first page bid"

How does the auction work once the searcher lands on page 2?

Also, how would this impact the 'average position targeting' optimizer on Adwords?

Re: How does adwords bidding work on page 2 of search result?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Alice, interesting questions, but pretty hard to answer Smiley Happy

According the AdWords help, 1-8 are generally considered first page, 9-16 are generally second page and on and on.  "1" is the highest position, and there is no "bottom" position. Read more about positions in the Adwords Help section here.

From my experience with Available ValueTrack parameters, when I inserted {adposition} in the destination URL of an ad I got the actual position of the ad when the user clicked on it. Position looked like this:

1t1 -> page 1, top of results, position 1

1t2 -> page 1, top of results, position 2

1t3 -> page 1, top of results, position 3

1s1-> page 1, side of results, position 1

1s2-> page 1, side of results, position 2

1s7-> page 1, side of results, position 7

2t1-> page 2, top of results, position 1

2t2-> page 2, top of results, position 2

2t3-> page 2, top of results, position 3

2s1-> page 2, side of results, position 1

3t1

3t2

So, probably the general help section has not been updated for a while. In my reports everything that starts with 1 is on page one. And there are 10 spots on 1st page, not 8.

If you want to understand positioning better here is a post from Chief Economist at Google, Hal Varian .

Now about your questions:

-> Also, how would this impact the 'average position targeting' optimizer on Adwords?

There is no way to automatically target an average position (except first page or top of the page). The position preference bidding feature in AdWords was retired in May 2011. Read more here.

-> I see most of my competitors show up for a search on page 1 and again on page 2. This would mean that their bid is not low enough to be "below first page bid". How does the auction work once the searcher lands on page 2?

I can't say exactly how it works, maybe somebody from Google could respond with more info Smiley Happy From my experience it looks like the auction is re-made when user lands on 2nd page. And if I was on 1st page 1st ad spot top before this (1t1), and now win 1st again on 2nd page, I see 2t1 click in my report - and probably this is averaged in the position report like I was on the 1st ad spot (no matter the page).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your detailed explanation Remus.

This is a really interesting topic, and one that has not really come to mind after 3+ years of dealing with Adwords!

I agree with you that the auction must be getting re-made. It almost looks like for page 1, all 10 spots participate in normal auction, and then on page 2, 8/10 participate in the normal auction and 2/10 are reserved for advertisers who didn't get in to the top 10.

If what we think are true, "below first page bid" really means "bid too low to appear in ANY pages" and this could mean different things for marketers.

I wonder if this something that someone from Google could clearly explain?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Alice;

Ad position on search result page is game of Bidding and quality score (Search impression share) of your campaign.

Ad position matrix of Google:-

Page         Top spots         "Other" spots
Page 1         Ads 1-3         Ads 4-11
Page 2         Ads 1, 2, 4         Ads 3, 12-18
Page 3         Ads 1, 2, 5         Ads 19-25

First two position of ads constant at all level and remaining ad position is changed by page to page depend on bidding and quality score of (Search impression share) of your account.
Read More About
Average position targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nandkumar,

Thanks for the information. I think this could be exactly what I needed.

Could you forward the link again? the URL seems to be broken.