AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How does Google Display decides which ad to show

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have about 10 different 300x250 ads.

I am looking at stats and see that 2 ads have over 1500 impressions, 4 ads have around 150 impressions, and 4 active ads have 10 impressions.

I understand that Google optimizes for clicks but one of the ads with 150 impressions has better CTR than the one with 1500 impressions. Also, if ad has less than 1000 impressions its pretty hard to determine its future CTR.

How does Google really determine which ad to show?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does Google Display decides which ad to show

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Eric,

Primarily it would depend upon the ad rotation settings that you have selected. Based on that, the AdWords system is going to show ads more often. More details around ad rotation settings are here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

But you also need to understand that apart from your ad rotation settings, the ad rank does play an important role. So it might happen that one ad has good CTR, but may not be the one getting eligible for ad auction everytime.

If I would have been there, I would tested same format of ads with similar dimensions one by one, so as to get the exact information of which ad works best for me.

Pankaj