AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do you select Jersey CI as a region for an adwords campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone help? All I can find is 'St Helier' and that's not representative of the entire Island...

Thanks

Sarah

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah S
September 2015

Re: How do you select Jersey CI as a region for an adwords campaign?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sarah, Welcome to the Community,

It is true as a location on that Island you can only select "St Helier" .

In this case I would try an 8 mile Radius Targeting which will look like this :

8-mile-radius.png

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah S
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Sarah, Welcome to the Community,

It is true as a location on that Island you can only select "St Helier" .

In this case I would try an 8 mile Radius Targeting which will look like this :

8-mile-radius.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not seeing the Radius option actually, even in advanced search? Any ideas??

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

As the help page explains, it should be found after clicking "Advanced Search" .

Do you see a map after clicking on "Advanced Search" ? If yes, then do you see the word Radius in the upper middle menu ?

What type of campaign do you have ? 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

target-radius-instructions.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here's the issue then, you can do this in Campaign Planner but not in Key Word Planner.
I want to assess what keywords to use and as far asI can see you can only do this for a new advert in CP, so its not going to give me much of an idea what traffic may have been pointed at my site/campaign...does that make sense?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, for the keyword planner there is no "Radius" option in the "Advanced Search". 

Anyway traffic in real life is quite different from the historical data in the "Keyword planner" so I wouldn't rely my predictions too much on it.

The best way to find out if some keywords have traffic in a location is to actually test them in a live account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks - this comes back full circle then. Sorry to be annoying but if I want to 'test' this in a live accunt, I do really want to test the whole Island and not just St Helier....Not easy given it appears this isnt actually possible for a Jersey CI campaign.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah, further to Adrian's replies, as he's suggested, I wouldn't place too much store in the figures you'd receive from the Keyword Planner even if it were possible to target the whole of Jersey.  These figures are at best estimates and I tend to use them only in terms of "orders of magnitude" rather than for precise data; for example, is this Keyword likely to generate 10 or 100 clicks, 1000 impressions or 10,000?  As Adrian has said, AdWords works best by experiment and so many factors are involved at the individual Account level that it's very difficult to provide any kind of accuracy.  Just the Ads themselves could have a huge impact on the number of clicks - you may get a 10% CTR, someone else may get only 5%, for example.

In the specific case of Jersey, there is also the issue of how Google identifies location.  It's entirely possible that most of the island will appear to be in St Helier due to the way IP address targeting works.  Given that St Helier also accounts for roughly 1/3 of the entire island population anyway, I'd suggest that the figures you see for that town could be considered largely representative of the entire island as far as Google's reported figures are concerned.

My suggestion would be to use the data you can see in the Keyword planner as a relative guide to popularity for Keywords and then run a short test Campaign to examine real data.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits