AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do you reduce the number of invalid clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I need some help. Some of my campaigns have invalid clicks as high as 30 or 40%. The conversion rates are'nt bad, they're actually pretty good. I know Google knocks off invalid click spent at the end of each month however, amount spent on invalid clicks isnt all being discounted on our invoice .. i did the math. Second, we're spending money throughout the month on invalid clicks that eats into our budget. It doesnt give us the proper 'impression' and click room. What can I do to reduce the amount of invalid clicks? I actively add in negatives.. Please help!

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do you reduce the number of invalid clicks?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

amount spent on invalid clicks isnt all being discounted on our invoice .. i did the math

If that is the case, I think you should contact the AdWords support and show them your figures.

Also, try to find out what search queries are giving invalid clicks and add those as negatives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David. How does one go about identifying the queries that lead to invalid clicks?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Go to tab "Dimensions", show "Search terms" and add "Invalid clicks" as column in the report.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi birtninja,

To add on what David recommended, if by chance you are using "Automatic Placements", it's VERY important to review the placements (atleast the ones that Google will show you) as I find that the majority of these types of placements are of little or no value.  If you ARE using "Automatic Placements", click the "Display Tab", set your history view to "All Time" and then exclude those placements that you find of little or no value.   After the first time of doing this, check this area for additional inappropriate placements periodically ( I suggest atleast weekly) and then you'll be able to set your view history to every 30 days instead of "All Time".  If by chance you do see a placement that you find of value, I would suggest adding it to your "Managed Placements".  Just remember that when your done excluding or adding placements, be sure to set your view history back to today or you'll be viewing statistics for whatever history you chose.

Hope this helps,

RPquest

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Again, thanks for the tip David. I did as you said... Dimensions tab, "Search Terms" + Invalid Clicks column. The invalid clicks column comes up blank for every search term. Even when I adjust the time frame... invalid clicks reads blank " --".

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmm,

that is true for at least one of my account also, that does have invalid clicks reported. Can´t help you here. Someone needs to call an AdWords-engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i feel like a lot of clicks that should be treated as invalid arent

the reason i say that is because i see the resulting lead in our crm and it has all the hallmarks of spam - like the form was completed by a bot (or maybe just a total retard).

is there an easy way to request adwords to add these to our invalid click credits?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've had problems with fraudulent clicks here at http://www.reallysimplesystems.com too. We also found that Google consistently undercounted the amount of click fraud as well. We used an external tool, www.hitslink.com, that tracks click frauds as well as provided visitor stats - I'm sure there are others too. Reporting that to Google proved pretty fruitless of course!