AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do you make an ad relevant when you can't use trademark name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am using the keyword "wordpress developers" I am unable to use the word "wordpress" due its trademark. Instead i have to use "WP" but on google its telling me the keyword is below average for expected CTR and ad relevancy?  How can i make it more relevant?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Take a look at the info below, under the "Reseller and Informational Site Policy". If your landing page primarily deals with selling or providing information about Wordpress, then you may be able to get them reverse it.

I can speak to this first hand, but from the other side. I had an airline client. We filed a trademark complaint against another company that didn't go anywhere because they had the airline's name and a short blurb on the landing page.

It was a pretty weak landing page in terms of content, but Google rejected our complaint because the landing page referenced the airline. They weren't even able to book this airline because you can only book directly.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Good luck.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi @Eldan S,

You can use wordpress as you keyword but not in the ads.

Make you ads attractive with USPs about your business, call to action, use ad extensions, use conversion oriented keywords.

This will improve the CTR and consequently the expected CTR will be improved.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Eldan S

Further to Archit's answer you can include (WP) in brackets after Wordpress within the body content of your landing page/website. This may improve that keyword's quality score. Though, you should definitely take Archit's advice and bid on "Wordpress Developers".

You can also get really creative with your ad copy:

"Websites Developed to Impress your Customers. You Have Our Word" - this may help with ad relevance as well.

Else, bid more aggressively, write better ads than your competitors (use price and promotion extensions!) and have a top notch landing page by making sure:

- it contains lots of digestible info about Wordpress Development

- is super fast (1 second load time)

- scales perfectly for all devices

As long as your site converts better than your competition, you can afford to pay a premium for trademarked or low quality score keywords. Stay aggressive and stay profitable.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David, 

Thank you for your response. My landing page is really not the greatest, and I am in the process of changing that. I am aware of the reseller policy, but every time I call google and speak to them about it they keep telling me I need "get approval from the trademark owner". It's like they don't about the reseller policy.

Its funny because there are 10 other competitors using the term "WordPress" i am certain that they did not get approval. Because when I tried, they didn't allow me to use it, and it also states in their policy that "Wordpress" can't be used. 

Regarding the landing page, do you know if a bot looks at it when using a Trademark, or does a human scan the landing page to determine whether or not its a Reseller? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply! But how will my "Ad relevancy" quality score improve because of my landing page? Doesn't "Ad relevancy have to do with the the ad copy it self and not the landing page? 

I like you idea by getting creative with the ad copy. You added "word" in it which is creative. But shouldn't it say the full word "wordpress"  in order it to be relevant? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response! I will try that

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Eldan S,

In the industry I work on this is something that happens a lot, so I have to find ways to be creative. One of the things I have been doing for years now - and so far it has been working - is using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion). There's plenty of websites articles talking about it, so I'm sure you'll manage to find plenty of information on it.

All the best!

Daniel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Daniel,

I have tried using DKI and it doesn't seem to be working with trademark names

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

@Daniel V,

If the keywords contain trademark terms then using DKI may lead to ads disapproval.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’