AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do you feel about Top Performer Campaigns?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

So I am trying out Top Performer campaigns (putting all top performing keywords in one campaign) so I can test other segments of my camapign & allocate most of my budget to Top Performers but what I am seeing is an increase in impressions & lowered quality score.

I still get conversions but now I am thinking I should Pause Top Performing Campaigns to just run on weekends and holidays & go back to more targeted campaigns & landing pages for better QS, Ad Text & Landing Pages?

Thoughts?

PPCSophie
2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCSophie
September 2015

Re: How do you feel about Top Performer Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sophie, I think you'd have to work pretty hard to convince me for this approach.  I can see the logic - I've even done something similar in the past - but there are just so many variations in AdWords and so many opportunities for quite fine control now that I'm not sure the disadvantages don't outweigh the advantages.

I think your Keywords have got to display a pretty startling range of performance for it to be worth the effort of doubling your Ads, extensions, rules, etc. etc. and then if they're that startling I'm wondering why you'd kept the poor ones anyway.  I tend to "treat" my top performing Keywords by tweaking their Max.CPCs with rules which can often have the practical effect of distributing the budget more in their favour. Equally (or alternatively) I'll tweak down the lower performers.

It's also darn hard now (and I know you know this) when you have to start looking at View-through, Click-through, Assists, multi-channel funnels, etc. etc.  It used to be easy to spot the duff Keywords in a Group but now they can be secret stars...

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yea it didnt work out too well as I hoped CTR wen down dramatically, so now hoping the 2nd half of the day provides more conversions.

PPCSophie
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCSophie
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree with Jon;

I have also noticed that no matter how I set / configure my a ad-groups,I always get a "distribution" of keywords with a range of performances. So my conclusion - keep with the "classic" structure;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’