AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do people like to organise match typed in their campaigns?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

We all have our own preferences with regards to organising match types within our campaigns. i was hoping to open up a discussion to air our theories on what works best...?

I suppose I should start first:

Personally I like to give each match type its own Adgroup so I can really tailor the negatives and ad text to each match type. I also tend to get hung up on QS (Nothing better than a 10/10 high volume keyword) so those broad match keywords that tend to have lower QS do not affect my high QS exact matches.

Please share your thoughts and ideas on my campaign organisation if you don't wish to share your own.

Cheers

JTSmiley Very Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do people like to organise match typed in their campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

An interesting topic discussion to create Smiley Wink

Without focusing on the structure I'd just like to point out that the nature, industry and competition of a business is very important to consider when selecting keyword match types.

It might seem like simple common sense but a high competition market combined with a limited budget might restrict you to using exact match keywords initially to ensure not a penny or cent is wasted for example.  A niche industry where an advertiser has just created their own product however will need to take a very broad approach though in order to make as many people aware that his or her product exists.

These are two extreme examples at either end of the spectrum but it does give you an idea that situations do arise where you can't simply use all match types available, some extra thought and attention is required.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Scott,

Cheers for your answer, and of course just using all match types available is a bit of a scatter gun approach! and a little note id lake to add is if using Broad match... build a big old Negative list!!

For arguments sake, we are using the keyword: asus laptops. and we wanted to use Broad and Exact match for this term. Do you place them in the same adgroup? different adgroup? or even a different campaign. I am more interested in campaign structure rather than which match type to use?

Thanks

JT

Re: 24

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I do understand what you are saying, just wanted to add some more information for the community without getting into structure... but now you've tempted me Smiley Tongue

I personally do keep them within the same ad group but I can see how you're idea of creating ad groups per match type would be beneficial. For some advertisers I imagine this could end up being a bit daunting when it comes to reviewing three times as many ad groups but if that is no issue for you (due to using rules, scripts, etc) then I definitely agree it's an interesting way of doings things!

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.