Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do i setup custom conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I would like to setup a conversion tracking code so that it triggers a conversion when someone stays on the website for 1min and 30 secs. Is this possible and if so how do I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance. 

Rob 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do i setup custom conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rob - the simple way to do this is to set up a goal in Analytics - it's easy to set up a goal based on time on site.

Once this goal has been triggered a few times by Adwords visitors (although Google recently announced that this should no longer be necessary) the goal will become available for import into Adwords as a conversion.

Et viola!

Re: How do i setup custom conversions

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hey Steve,

Will that work if the visit is a bounce? Rob, do you want to a conversion if the visit is a bounce? Is it just one page?

I'm not sure why you want to call this a conversion, but that wasn't the question.

If it is one page and you want to record a conversion if the visitor stays on the page for 90 seconds, you could set up a Javascript timer for 90 seconds. If the visitor is still on the page after that time, deliver the image part of the conversion script. You can do that in the script, without Ajax, by creating the image in the script. If you're not a Javascript programmer, get some help.

If you do not wish to count bounces as conversions and your site is more than one page, Steve's suggestion would work fine. I just don't think it will work for a bounce.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords