AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I set up both automatic and managed placement for GDN campaign?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to do this? or do I need to have a separate campaign and exclude the placement from the auto. placement campaign?

And if I do have both managed & automatic, how do I ensure that budget doesn't get depleted before giving managed placement room to run? Obviously, if I have well performing placements, I would prefer that adwrods give preferential treatment of impressions towards those

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I set up both automatic and managed placement for GDN campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Taewoo,

Technically speaking it is possible and allowed to define and keep both automatic and managed placements within an ad campaign.

I would not say that's advisable as well, for reasons associated with the budget issue you raised. It may well happen that automatic placements deplete your daily budget before the managed placements could accrue any stats. Therefore I'd rather advise you to keep them in 2 separate campaigns so that you can allocate the right budget to both.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I will often run two separate campaigns - one auto and one managed. I then monitor the performance of placements from the auto campaign - which acts as a feeder - and either add them as negatives if they perform badly, or move them into the managed campaign if they perform well.

There is no need to add the managed placement as a negative in the auto campaign since if you do get impressions, you're probably getting them at a cheaper cost....

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
You don't need to have separate campaigns, just separate adgroups. Target only your managed placements in one adgroup, and then have adgroups for whatever other targeting methods you want (Topics, remarketing, KW's, etc.).

If something isn't working for you, then pause/delete it, and allocate your budget to what is working. If impressions are your goal, then you will likely get fewer impressions from a set of managed placements than broader topic or interest targeting. If your goal is sales/conversions, then try to test things equally, find something that works, and pursue that. If you know your managed placements actually generate revenue, then do you have enough budget to cover 100% of the potential impression share for those placements?
Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
It's a good point that you don't need to run these as separate campaigns - but you have more control over the budgets if you do.

The problem can arise where a limited budget (and they are almost all limited!) is shared between managed and automatic placement ad groups whereby the automatic ad group can eat up all the available budget before the managed group has gotten it's shoes on.

I prefer to be able to allocate a budget big enough to give me 100% share on the managed placements without giving too free a rein to the automatic placements to waste it. The only way to ensure this is to separate out the budgetby separating the campaigns.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Couldn't agree with you more @stickleback. Smiley Happy Impression share, specifically in regards to the display network, is a KPI which far too many inexperienced advertisers ignore. You absolutely hit the nail on the head! Smiley Happy

No one has enough budget to cover 100% of the impression share for display network targeting! Which is why it's so important that you first understand your business goals. Smiley Happy

Can you do "X"?

Absolutely!

Should you???

Not necessarily. Smiley Happy

What is the goal of your advertising?
Tom