AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I set up a received email as a conversion in Ad Words/GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am looking to count an email to my inbox as a conversion. Is there a way to configure conversions this way? When someone fills out the email form on my website, there is no 'next page' they are brought to. I want to be able to track a user sending that email as opposed to just visiting the 'contact us' page.

Also, Is there a way to set up a phone call as a conversion if they make the call on a mobile device from the mobile site?

Any help would be appreciated!

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I set up a received email as a conversion in Ad Words/GA?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jason,

Please share your page that contain email form?

Usually when you make the website you at least contain "Thank you" page or "Success" message when a user submit a form like that. are you sure that you don't have such page after submitting the form?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jaosn

#As per my understanding, you can't track email as conversion which are coming to your inbox. As you have mentioned that there is no next page after filling out the form on your website, so their also you can't track conversion but there is event tracking feature in Analytics which can help you to track events like form fill ups etc.

#Yes, if you want to track call conversions from mobile site, i.e. how many times the number displaying on your mobile site is dialled then you can track this from conversion option, just create a "Call on-site" conversion and that code to your mobile site.

Please go through the "Track Conversion on a Mobile site with a phone number" on this Adwords help article - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en

Hope this helps & keep us posted.

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There are a couple of things you can do...

for the form - you can add an event to the form's submit/send button - if you are using Google Tag Manager this is fairly simple - you can use click listener - if not you can add some simple script to the html of the button on your form page and create the event there... however, as others suggest, you probably do have an option to send your visitors to a thank you page - you just need to configure it. How is your website built, is it, for example, a wordpress or joomla site? Forms on these sites almost always have these options.

As for the call tracking - as well as what can be done within Adwords - there are a number of third party solutions that will track phone calls very effectively - these also then send an event or a goal completion (they differ slightly in terms of how they do this, but the result is much the same) so that you can not only register the call as a goal, but also drill back to the keyword and ad copy which triggered the visit in the first instance. If you receive a good proportion of your response as phone calls this is something I cannot recommend enough.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

You can look at manual conversion tracking. That involves saving the gclid value when the user first hits the site. You could fill a hidden form value with that value. It codes the data for keyword, ad, adGroup and campaign. When you get the email conversion, look up the email address and get the saved gclid value, then follow the instructions for manual conversion tracking.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Jason,

There are some great suggestions here.

Here are a few links to the items metioned by @petebardo  and @stickleback .

1. Manual Conversion Tracking
  2. Google Tag Manager
  3. Click Listener

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
AdWords Folks,

I cannot thank you enough for the overwhelming support and responses. I am going to take all of this in and try to get things configured correctly for both the Email Conversion Tracker and the Phone Call Conversions.

As for the site platform, I use WIX to create/host the site. I know there is an option to add code to certain pages which looks like the move I'm going to have to make.

I will be working on this tonight and will respond back if I have any further questions.

Thanks again to everyone participating in the thread!!!

Best,
Jason

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
If you have the option to add code my recommendation would be to insert the Google Tag Manager container on your site - this lessens what needs to be done on the page itself - you essentially control the tracking in the GTM interface. It is another learning curve, and a relatively steep one, but the view from the top is more than worth it!