AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I pause and resume multiple campaigns?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a client who has a budget of £60 per day but have multiple campaigns running that sometimes takes his budget past this amount. How do I get the campaigns to pause? So far I have tried selecting all and creating a rule which says 'pause when budget is > £60 in all enabled campaigns' (using data from same day) but this doesn't work and I have to pause them all manually. I can't also get them to enable again in the morning - my rule is 'enable selected campaigns when impressions are <1 (using data from the same day) and again this doesn't seem to work for some reason?

Any advice welcome!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I pause and resume multiple campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phil,

I don't think there should be any issues while implementing the automated rules to stop and resume the campaigns if you have implemented them correctly.

IMO, I would suggest you to create the rules to pause and resume the campaigns for individual campaign depending upon their statistics because each campaign might be behaving differently depending upon various factors which are either inside or may be outside.

Did you check this help center reference mentioning common ways to implement the rules: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Cheers for the reply pankaj, running rules for each individual campaign would't work for me as there are quite a lot. I really just want them to pause once the daily budget has reached or surpassed £60, surely this is possible?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Phil,

Did you check the Controlling Budgets and Cost section of the link I referred above? It should help you in achieving what you are looking for.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I did Pankaj thanks for that, I'm wondering if perhaps my rule which says to pause the campaigns when the cost is >£60, is actually applying to each campaign individually and not to the total cost which is what I am looking for?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

The program does sometimes overrun daily budget (by as much as 20%) due to fluctuations in traffic, but at the end of the month, it will not overrun the account's total budget cap (which is calculated as the total daily spend of all active campaigns times 30.4.

So even if your campaigns are overrunning their budgets some days, at the end of the month, they won't overrun the client's total allotted spending for that month.

Or, are you saying that you have your campaigns' combined daily spending cap(s) set to a total that's higher than the client is able/willing to spend in for a month?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Phil T,

I have such automated rules, and as it turns out, the "check cost" rule is applied to each elements from the list of "Apply to" campaigns. The cost "requirement" for the automated rule cannot be set to check a total cost.

Maybe setting up an AdWords script could help you with this task.

Here is a place to get you started on understanding scripts and checking cost variables :

http://www.freeadwordsscripts.com/2013/03/dynamically-adjust-campaign-budgets.html

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes @PhilT you think right and Adrian is right:  The rule apply to each campaign individually and not to the total cost which is what you are looking for ! It is really strange that this feature is not permited with automatic rules.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Phil T I hope this message is not late.

You can checkout this two links 

https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404245

https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404203

Hope they work. 

Always remember to have fun and enjoy yourself.

David

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This early 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!