AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I lower my Bounce Rate when using Responsive Ads? BR has increased significantly. #Halp!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have in the past few months switched from standard display ads (we offered 3 different popular sizes to our clients) to all Responsive Ads. While we really like the drastic increase in clicks/impressions that Responsive Ads bring us....they've also significantly increased the bounce rate for our client websites once the user gets to the website from clicking the Responsive Ad. Does anybody have any suggestions of ways to lower the bounce rate on the sites? We drop them to the optimum/most relevant pages that they would want to see based on the ads. We love Responsive Ads but need some help with performance. Thanks all!

1 Expert replyverified_user

How do I lower my Bounce Rate when using Responsive Ads? BR has increased significantly. #Halp!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bounce rate has increased from something like 60% with standard Display Ads to around 90% with Responsive Ads. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello @Nathan P;

Bounce rate refers to the user experience  on the landing page after the user clicks. So the question to ask: is the ad-copy relevant to the service and product you offer on the landing page.

The technical format of the ad  (whether a responsive ad or a banner) is not the issue - the ad-copy should clearly present the product or service offered.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @MosheTLV. I completely understand your point. If the creative/ad-copy is identical in most ways whether it be banner or responsive....why would the responsive produce so much bounce? Are they producing a high volume of accidental clicks/finger touches when shown in apps (a huge focus of responsive ads are on showing ads in mobile apps/games)? I think this could be one theory. They're not intentional ad clicks. They're accidental as the user is trying to close out the ad/not see it anymore. Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Nathan P;

Interesting point.... But why those accidental clicks would be higher in responsive vs banners. If you have banners in all sizes user behavior should be the same... shouldn't it?

The other point  you raise (more placements in mobile apps /games) is also interesting... Have you checked the placements list?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’