Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I increase the Conversoin?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Advertisers,

I am running a campaign with a goal of achieving product download. We have a free download product and also 199USD product.

Our main goal is to atleast make people to download free product but its not happening. Any reasons for that??

So far we got 170 clicks for the ads but only 2 free downloads happened.

Please give me some suggestions.

Regards,

Binesh.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I increase the Conversoin?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Binesh,

On which network you are currently running your ads, if it only search then try display campaigns as well as remarketing to expand your reach and boost the conversions.
Also use negatives and match type variations for your search ads.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Binesh C
December 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hey Binesh, how are things?

When you're reaching for conversions, it's important to keep in mind that you have two steps on the process of conversions: Your Campaigns and your Website. They're 50/50 in the process. You campaigns are only one part of the process, responsible for leading the user to the website, but's it's your site that need to bring the user together to you.

_Your Campaigns

Your campaigns is where you need to be relevant and reach the right person at the right time to lead them to your website. Here, making use of the best practices of Adwords and also try to communicate properly with your potencial costumer is the main goal.

On Adwords, nothing works alone. You need to work everything together in order to achieve your main goal, so pay close attention when reaching for conversions specially for those things:

• Keyword match type
  • Negative Keywords
  • Search Terms Report
  • Long-tail keywords
  • Ads Variety and Rotation
  • Ad extensions
  • Geographic location

Keyword Match Types

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

The keyword match types are used to give advertisers more control on how their ads/keywords are triggered by the user. The Keywords Match Types are: Broad, Broad Modifier, Phrase, Exact and Negative

On the reference article you can check how exactly each one of them work, and somethings that are worth saying are:

Broad Match Type

Avoid large numbers of Broad keywords. Broad keywords are the worst enemy for advertisers that are trying to reduce/control their budget. Let's say you have the keyword "car" in broad match in your list. Since this is in broad match, that word can be triggered but just almost any user search that contains that word. So your ad would appear for things like:

• rent a car
  • car accidents
  • car on fire
  • how to sell my car

Also, if you have keywords with 2 or more terms in it, each term will be treated as individual keywords. So if you advertise for the keyword "wine bar that serves pizza" on broad match type, you basically have 5 keywords as if they were separate: wine, bar, that, serves and pizza. So any query containing of of those words would trigger your ad:

• what's the best red wine
  • best bar to hang at night
  • order pizza online

Things worth saying:

• Broad Match types doesn't take into account the order in which the terms are: "red wine" is the same as "wine red"
  • That's why it's important to combine Broad Match keywords with a good work with Negative Keywords (which I'll talk in a minute)

Other Match Types (Broad Modifier, Phrase and Exact)

Use and abuse of this other match types. You can have the same keyword with multiple match types (not 1 keyword with several matchtypes, but the keyword repeatedly on your group, each one with a different match type). Match Types usually have different behaviors and prices, so it's a good thing to have specially to know what you can compare to.

Hint: do not, I repeat, DO NOT, EVER, have a duplicated keyword with the same match type for the same campaign targeting the same region (you can have the same keyword in different campaigns, as long as they target different geographic location).

Hint²: Phrase and Exact match types DO consider the order in which the terms are. So "red wine" and "wine red" using Phrase and Exact are different keywords.

Negative Keywords

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

Negative keywords are so if not even more important than your "positive" ones. As you select keywords that you'd LIKE TO SHOW your ads to, negative keywords are used as a filter to keywords that you WOULDN'T LIKE to show your ads.

Taking our previous car example, if you have the word "car" in your campaign, you wouldn't like to show your ads for a query such as "car accidents", right!? In that case, you could add "accident" as a negative keyword, and every user search query containing that word, will not trigger your ad.

Don't ever run a campaign without a few negative keywords. I can think of so many things that can trigger your "wine bar" keywords if you don't have proper negative:

• what's the best wine
  • appetizers for parties
  • how to make pasta
  • how to make a pizza
  • bread with cheese

Search Terms Report

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

The Search Term report it's one my favorite reports. It can show you keywords searched for the users that triggered your ads generating at leats one click for you. Those keywords are keywords that you have and don't have in your campaigns, so it's a great place to discover new keywords to add to your list, as also keywords that you would like to include as negative ones.

Long-tail Keywords

Avoid generic keywords such as "car". Prefer the long-tail keywords where the user already have a in-depth feel of what they want, something like "buy blue honda civic 2016" it's much more likely to have a conversions rather than "card".

Ads Variety and Rotation

Go with AT LEAST two ads per Ad Group. That way you will be able to test different texts and offers, such as your free product and paid product, or discounts and other benefits.

Ads Extensions

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375499?hl=en

One thing that you should definitely use in your ads are the Ad Extensions. As the name states, they're little features that and "Extend" you ads, giving you better chance to receive cliks.

I will not deep dive into them, since you can check everyone on the article, but I'd like to recommend 3 of them to you:

1. Sitelinks extensions (additional links that appear with your ads)
  2. Call Extensions (show your phone with your ads)
  3. Location Extension (show your address with your ads)
  4. Callouts (show addition infos)

Geographic segmentation

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en

As the name says, it's the possibility to select specific regions to show your ads.

_Your website

A LOT of advertisers try to do everything on their campaigns, but they forget that the campaigns are only responsible for leading the costumer to the website. It's your brand, website, product, service or whatever you're offering that needs to be tied together and make the user convert.

Try to analyze some of the points below might help:

• Design: You need to have a good design and provide a good user experience (UX). Think yourself as a user. You don't want to reach a page hard to navigate, so neither your user will want to.
  • Promisse: Your page content should be tied together with your campaigns. If you advertise one thing on your ads and provide another on your website, it's most likely that the user will leave. Don't try to gather higher amount of traffic just to have more clicks. Aim for the most quality users and create target text ads, so even with lower volumes, you will have users with higher chance of conversions
  • Payment Process: For paid products, make sure that your payment flow is good and not complicated. Users like things easy, if the payment it's complicated, most likely they will leave.
  • Content: Users and Google wants you to be relevant. That means that you should deliver an answer for what the user is searching for. If someone looks for "blue nike shoes", they should be delivered with a Blue Nike Shoes, simple. But a lot of people don't do that. Advertisers don't worry about what exactly the user is searching for, so who ever do that, you probably have the user conversion. Adapt and PROVIDE content for the user you're bringing to your website.
  • Product/Service Quality: If you're providing someone a service or a product, make sure it's a good one. Don't offer still on development  products and products that will have bugs a lots of fixes. Don't rush into things and provide users at leats with something that is 80% finished, that will be a beta test to adapt things and not to have BIG CHANGES.
  • Brand: This is something that unfortunately is dying with the adventure of internet. The facility people have to implement things online made them forget about their brands. It's the brand that connects with the user. Make a loving environment with your brand towards the user. Don't left this behind.

Well, I hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Kudos @leandrofm! It's epic I must say. @Binesh C if you still have questions, feel free to post here.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Leandrofm

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Binesh,

I'd check to see where the clicks are coming from.

I've found the default set up in adwords includes display which can be good if optimised, but the optimisation is some what different to search. Display can drive a lot of clicks (especially from mobile) that don't convert as well as search traffic, display traffic is generally cheaper though so it is a question on quantity over quality.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi Binesh,

Its really the best explanation by Leandro.

I would like to add just 2 things which got missed by Leandro, that is Bid Adjustment and Network.

I suggest you to to effectively use the bid adjustments for:
Device
Top content (for display network and youtube)
targeting methods (display network)
RLSA

Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Among all these Location and devices are mostly used and yield a significant result.

Now the Network (with search partner)
Access this using: Segment tab >> network (with search partner)

Analyse your account data using the above segment(advice you to select a long range), if the search partners are just consuming budget or not working effective then just opt out search partners from the setting tab.
Reason being, Google don't offer any control on the search partners so if not performing; you can opt out(for any particular or all campaigns).

One thing that even missing by me is ad scheduling
Go through the link regarding the ad scheduling:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404244?hl=en

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Mate