AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I allow multiple Adwords accounts to utilise my website's retargeting tag?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I allow multiple Adwords accounts to utilise my website's retargeting tag?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How do I allow multiple Adwords accounts to utilise my website's retargeting tag?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Timeandleisure,

Welcome to the Community!

There have been some very recent changes to remarketing and I have yet to dig in on them but I will try to give you the quick version here based on what I do know.

You can only share audiences within one AdWords account.  So, in order to use your remarketing list for multiple websites, they would ALL have to be present within the account where the remarketing list originated.  Now the tricky part of this is you can only be advertising a domain in one account.  So if you have separate accounts for the websites that you'd like to share the remarketing list with, I'm afraid you're probably out of luck.

One workaround could be if you could potentially create a remarketing list in each AdWords account and place the remarketing code for each AdWords account across the multiple websites essentially creating the same remarketing list for multiple AdWords accounts. 

Ultimately, this is going to depend highly on the current status and setup of each domain and account within AdWords.  Once a domain is set up on a separate account, I'm not positive that you can easily move it to another account without risking Double Serving violations.

Hope this clears things up.  If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: How do I allow multiple Adwords accounts to utilise my website's retargeting tag?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Do you mean I can add several remarketing tags to one webpage? i.e. one for each AdWords account that needs to remarket to the visitors?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, that is what I'm saying.  Now I wouldn't personally go loading up tons of remarketing lists but there is no good reason why it wouldn't work with multiple remarketing codes installed.  It's only setting a cookie on the users browser.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to correct Tom on one point. You can advertise multiple domains within a single AdWords account. What can not do is advertise multiple domains within a single AdGroup.

Also, when you advertise multiple domains in one account, your risk of violating the couble-serving policy is greatly reduced or eliminated. If your web sites are all of the same basic them and products, advertising in multiple accounts is a sure way to violate the double-serving policy.

What doesn't seem possible at this time is to create a remarketing list on your web site then allow other advertisers to use that list. That would be an interesting development, wouldn't it?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Pete,

I'm missing something here I guess.  I don't see where I mentioned anything about sharing domains/sites within an ad group...

Perhaps I could have explained, composed a better post or perhaps it's being interpreted differently than I had intended.

-Tom

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@ PPCBossman

Do you mean that what rashu suggests in this thread isn´t allowed any more?

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics-get-started/Remarketing-Tags-across-multip...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Nope,that is not what I'm suggesting here. I don't disagree with Rashu at all, I've definitely posted that exact suggestion previously in this forum (with some resistance from folks) and I've used that technique pretty much since remarketing was initiated, she's absolutely correct.

I think these are two very different cases though.

The one you pointed to:

1 AdWords Account - 1 remarketing code installed on multiple websites

This case:

Multiple AdWords accounts -  1 remarketing code installed on multiple websites.

The question here is not "Can I use my remarketing code on multiple websites"?, it's "How can I target a single remarketing audience across multiple AdWords accounts"?

That's how I read it.  

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

petebardo wrote:

What doesn't seem possible at this time is to create a remarketing list on your web site then allow other advertisers to use that list. That would be an interesting development, wouldn't it?

This is the aim, which is why each client needs a separate Adwords account (Third Party policy). So it looks like setting multiple cookies by including one tag per client is the only way to go. I just wasn't sure if this would work programatically as I thought it might just set one cookie using the details from whichever tag is last in the HTML code.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

Sorry about that. I think I misread your post here.

Keep up the good work.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords