AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How do I allocate budget toward my remarketing lists?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I set up a campaign for which I used the "Narrow your targeting" option in order to target two remarketing lists I'd made previously: one for youtube channel visitors and one for youtube video viewers. My campaign has now run, and only a very small percentage of my budget actually went to my remarketing list members - most of it was spent showing my ads to viewers who weren't in them. Is there a way to "force" adwords to show my ads exclusively to my remarketing list members?

Thanks so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Juan Carlos,

Did you set up your re-marketing in a separate campaign from all other targeting methods? It's about the only way to prevent your other display ads from cannibalizing your re-marketing budget.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: How do I allocate budget toward my remarketing lists?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete!

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I generated a unique Campaign and Ad Group for my remarketing. At the Ad Group level, when Adwords asked me to choose my targeting, I edited gender and age, added four interests, and then chose the "Narrow your targeting (optional)" button and added the remarketing lists there. I would have thought this would direct my budget entirely toward the remarketing lists, given that they were the final audience narrowing criteria.

Should I have left gender and age as well as the "interests" set to "any"? My fear with this would be that the same thing would happen: my ads would be shown mostly to people outside my remarketing lists, only it would be worse than last time, since the audience would be totally unfiltered by gender, age, and interests.

Thank you so much for your previous reply and thanks in advance for any more help!!!

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

If you select "target and bid" for your remarketing lists, then only users in that list, viewing pages related to your interest categories, should see your ads. However, there is also the option to "Let AdWords automatically find new customers" under the targeting optimization settings. If that box is clicked, that may explain where this extra volume is coming from.

If you had no targeting in the adgroup other than remarketing lists, then you may still have the same problem if you are opted into that setting. It is the default setting and can be easily overlooked.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom!

Thanks for your reply! I can find neither the "Target and bid" option nor the "Let AdWords automatically find new customers" at the Campaign or Ad Group level...are they available for Video Campaigns? That's the kind of campaign for which I need to retarget my Youtube remarketing lists.

In case they are not, is there some other way to achieve the closed targeting I'm looking for?

Thanks so much!!!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juan Carlos
March

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Hmm... I don't get to play with video advertising much, but it doesn't look like you have those options for video. Try only using your remarketing lists for targeting. When you add remarketing lists to the targeting there is this message:

"Remarketing lists and interests are considered together: a viewer matching either your chosen interests or your chosen remarketing lists will see your ad."

In theory if you have no targeting other than remarketing lists, you would only get impressions for that targeting method. Demographics can be excluded, but are not a targeting method. It sounds like volume is not an issue, you know you can expand targeting if you need to in the future. Limit your targeting only to remarketing, and see what happens. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll definitely do that! I'll set up a small trial where I don't touch the interests and we'll see what happens. I'll report back with my findings! Thanks, Tom!!! 😄

Re: How do I allocate budget toward my remarketing lists?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just checking back in with my results: I ran a test Video campaign where I did not even touch the Demographics or Interests parameters, leaving both set to their "any" defaults. This did, in fact, work! I only have impressions now from users in my remarketing lists. Thanks for the help, guys! Hope this helps anyone else who comes across this issue.