AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How can avg CPC be 3x the "estimated top of page bid" on a KW with QS10?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why is my avg CPC a whole $0.93 (avg position 2) on a keyword for which the quality score is 10 and the "estimated top of page bid" is only $0.30?!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is my avg CPC 3x the estimated top of page bid on a KW with QS 10 ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I guess you have to remember that the estimate is just an approximation based on data and there's bound to be anomolies and exceptions to the rule.

In addition, regardless of your own QS you are also at the mercy of what those below you are bidding, which could be artificially inflating the eventual CPC that you have to pay even though your ad rank and QS are solid.

To be completely honest although they have made improvements I never take the CPC $ values from estimator seriously and prefer to test the waters myself.

I know this doesn't help you any, but at least you know it isn't just you. 

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply, Jack.

But if the "estimated top of page bid" calculator doesn't take into consideration what those below me are bidding then it is NOT an "estimated top of page bid". It's something else.

And surely there will be anomalies and exceptions, but it is about 3x the ETPB for several QS10 KWs...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I totally agree Eddie, which is why I always take estimates with a pinch of salt.

It does feel a bit deceptive and frustrating when you get stung by this for the first time though.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Eddie, just as a matter of interest, what is the match type of the Keyword with the high bid and the QS of 10/10?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cobnut wrote:

Hi Eddie, just as a matter of interest, what is the match type of the Keyword with the high bid and the QS of 10/10?

Jon

Broad match. That probably has something to do with the innacuracy of the estimate...