AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How can I use a Location Ext to solve this problem?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi there!

Location Extensions have long buzzed past my head without ever getting in the brain. Now, I have a problem that I think location extens can resolve.

In the below screenshot, you can see the city is targeted.

Screen_Shot_2014-09-28_at_10_42_07_PM-5.png

Screen_Shot_2014-09-28_at_10_39_02_PM-2.png

Problem is, one of the broad match modifier keyword in an adgroup that is "+product +mississauga", that you can see above, has a QS issue. 

This BMM keyword is part of an adgroup that has similar keywords for other cities as well. But they're all giving that error of low QS and the error about the location - "can affect where your ads show"

I would like these keywords (and their corresponding ads) to show the Location extension. I would also like to pass the location in the destination URL so I can pass it to my landing page for location specific page. 

Please help me

Thank you so much

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: How can I use a Location Ext to solve this problem?

Rising Star
# 18
Rising Star
Hi Mark,

Sorry about the confusion with the campaign structuring.

To clarify further on this: You can try both the approaches.

1. Copy the same campaigns structure and geo target just the targeted location i.e. Victoria with 'People in targeted location' as the setting
2. Add location based keywords like the ones you have mentioned and run a dedicated campaign for Victoria geo targeting Victoria here again

I would suggest you to go with the 2nd approach as it would limit the overall competition within your account and also help you target users who are specifically looking out for your products & services in Victoria.

Also, since you are going to run a Victoria dedicated campaign, you should create ad copies with the headlines clearly mentioning Victoria or at least mentioning Victoria in your overall ad messaging somehow. This way, your potential customers would be able to relate to your ad better and may be convinced to click on your ad.

This way you can make your ad copy more engaging and at the same time drive more relevant traffic to the website.

Hope I have cleared this up to an extent. Apologies, If i have missed out on anything.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark,

With respect to the problem with the error about location, it has to do with your settings. You have changed the advanced location setting to people in my targeted location and thus eliminated the aspect of intent with regards to location targeting.

By coupling the removal of intent with location specific keywords, AdWords is taking this as location targeting on your part. Thus the keyword is restricted to only the people in the area that the keyword mentions, in this case mississauga. So only people in this area are eligible to see your keyword, irrespective of location targeting.

If you want to target an larger area and have specific location keywords you need to have intent (people searching about my area) or AdWords will restrict the keyword to the area mentioned in the keyword.

With regards to lacation extensions, you will need to have set up your Google My Business account and have the addresses verified.

You can learn how to set it all up here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404182?hl=en

This link will deal with bidding by radius around your adresses:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2914785?hl=en

That being said, location extensions are not going to be the thing to fix your low QS. That is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. I do not know how your account is structured, but I would suggest consider reducing the size of your ad groups and ensuring that the keywords are tightly themed. Furthermore considering a revision of your ad copy is highly suggested as well as looking into making or choosing more adequate landing pages.

Hope this helps

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Mark,

I have to agree with Clynton here on the settings aspect and why your ads are being restricted. Changing your targeting settings would definitely help you resolve this issue and get the ads to start serving on the SERP.

With respect to the QS, i think it being low is a factor of how your adgroup has been structured. If I understand it correctly, you have a adgroup for all BMM keywords with your product along with location specific terms in all your keywords.

If this is the case, then you need to restructure your adgroup and separate all the location based keywords and keep them under their own dedicated adgroups for example
1. NewYork
2. Los Angeles
3. San Fransico
4. New Jersey and so on

The reason why your QS is low is because your ad relevance & landing page relevance to your targeted keywords is very low. This essentially means your ad copies do not have the same terms as the keywords you have targeted and neither does your landing page (or atleast there are only a few targeted keywords mentioned on your LP & in your ad copy).

By separating all keywords into their own dedicated adgroups, you can write dedicated ad copies for all ad groups and mention the location names in them, this should help raise the QS to an extent. Other than this, you may also want to mention the names of the locations you are targeting on you landing page to further build relevance.

Building out such adgroups in conjunction with the changes in landing pages should help your overall QS to improve.

Do give this a try.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;
Remember that the predominant factor of the QS is CTR.

As suggested in the previous replies, work to improve  your CTR, first by reviewing your keywords, so they are "tightly themed". (e.g. Remove any broad match keywords which brings impressions, but  do not result in a click, reorganize your ad-groups by mach types... And there are other techniques and strategies).

Make sure that your ad-copy includes a call for action and is appealing / attractive.

A key working tool to use in this process is the search terms report

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies!
The reasoning behind the location targeting being to "People in" is this:

I have a campaign that has gained significant history of success that has all the main city locations being targeted (also as People in). But the smaller towns have been explicitly excluded.

These excluded towns have a campaign of their own.
I just wanted to direct traffic to their respective campaigns by way of exclusion.

If I did broaden the targeting from "People in" to "People in, searching for...", I was afraid that once again all the locations will end up getting mixed result in going to either campaign.

Is my thinking flawed?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark,

I would not call your thinking flawed. In fact many individuals take this approach. The problem comes in when you couple location targeting without intent (people in) and location specific keywords. If you are targeting a specific state and then use a city keyword in your keyword then that keyword will only trigger in that city (as you have restricted your location settings to no intent).

So if you wish to adopt the approach above then I would suggest not using location keywords.

Hope this helps

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Thanks Clynton.
The problem is, a lot of the users search as "product cityname", and I'm afraid I'll be losing those guys - that's why I went with the People In strategy.

As an aside, the CTR tip you gave me previously - I'm scared to break them out into their own campaigns and adgroups to increase structure because I might lose the historical data. Smiley Sad

I have one campaign that has a few adgroups that do this location keyword targeting and as per your advice, it would mean to bring them into their own campaign and THAT is what I'm scared of.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately, it is a choice you will have to make. Personally I prefer the location keywords myself and for this reason usually create a location campaign.

With regards to losing the users that search for "product cityname", use of Modified broad match or broad match controlled well with negatives, even phrase match will still get you those users.

As far as historical data goes, what exactly are you afraid of losing? The actual data itself? or the QS that comes with the history of a keyword? In the case of the data itself, this will still be on your account. You can remove/pause anything but you can never permanently lose it. So that data will always be available.

If you are worried about QS, then this is only a slight concern early on if you have been performing way above the curve. I say this because when you create the new campaign your initial QS will be based on other advertisers QS and then adjusted by your account history (so the loss will not be large based on your previous performance for this keyword). This will also only be temporary, until the KW has established its new QS, so unless you are only getting 50 impressions a day this will be resolved rather quickly. On top of that, you are now able to group your themes with the addition of location keywords and thus tailor your ads specifically to each location, theoretically increasing your ad relevance and thus QS.

The other option is of course to turn intent back on (people searching in, for or about...) and then add the regions you do not want to show for as negatives.

Hope this helps

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

So basically, you're saying for the CTR it shouldn't really matter much.
Let me clarify so maybe you see an easier picture as sometimes I have a bird brain method of explaining.

• Campaign #1:
  • Product Ad Group #1: 5 keywords (2 keywords have cityname)
  • Product Ad Group #2: 17 keywords (3 keywords have cityname)

Based on what we're talking about, I'll be pulling out 2 and 3 keywords (from Adgroup 1, and 2 respectively) and putting them in their own campaign. Maybe even further segregate them if the citynames are two different cities. Correct?

Then I create ad copy particularly appealing to those citynames.  Pause the old keywords.

This whole process you say shouldn't really matter as much if the CTR wasn't the best anyway. Touché.

These new campaigns would be at "People in" or "People in, searching for..." (sorry, I don't follow the intent vs location terminology, mind pointing me to an article?)

Thanks so much for your continued input Clynton!

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner
Also, to add to this, when (if) I separate the campaigns by location, I am literally copying the same structures except changing location targeting. That should be fine, right?