AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How can I add a generic city name, region name or country name to a keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm advertising for an international music show, it's a high level Queen tribute band. I noticed that some of the search terms that generate more conversions (concert producers/organizers who go to the contact page and book a show) are simply a general phrase + a city or region name like "queen tribute band Milano" or "tribute band queen Veneto". 

Thing is that there isn't any specific city where we work or where people are interested in our show, we work all over Europe and would like to work all over the world of course.

Considering that I'm working on an add made specifically for Italy, is there a way to add a generic city name to a specific phrase, something that covers all city or region names? For example "tribute band queen" +city "tribute band queen" +region? 

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kim M
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

Unfortunately there is not a way to add a generic city name to a keyword via a variable or placeholder.

I would recommend building a list of keywords manually. You can combine "tribute band queen" with the name of the most populated cities in Europe in a program like Excel. At the bottom of this link is an Excel file download that has population statistics for about 1000 European cities. I'd add these keywords in a unique campaign or ad group so that you can review performance and set bids more efficiently.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's what I thought and did initially, thank you for the link, that's great! I'll definitively use it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are also many online tools to merge keywords, they are easy to find with a google search. All I need to to is get my generic keywords and merge them with a list of cities

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kim,

Are you looking for a tool to merge your keywords with cities? You can do this in excel using concatenate formula or you can also do the same using Append Text in AdWords Editor for keywords.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Kim M,

Look into geo-targeting, select both people in my target area and people who show interest in my target area. Then leave your keywords alone. Google will figure out the geographic terms in the search query and still apply your keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords