AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How big a factor is Landing Page Load times on QS?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

my situation in a nutshell

QS: 6
Expected CTR: Above Average
Ad Relevance: Above Average
LP Experience: Below Average

LP copy optmized for alignement with keywords and ad copy.

LP load times: disastrous 4.5 sec.

Trying to convince my client to improve LP load times.

Does anyone have hard evidence/proof that LP Load Times are a factor in Google's calculation of QS?

thanks again ppl!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How big a factor is Landing Page Load times on QS?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nils
Apart from the fact that Google says so in their documentation, there's not really much evidence that can be demonstrated. However, anecdotally, I can tell you that it is a factor. Bear in mind that improving your page load time can also improve your conversion rate as a faster site tends to delight customers.

The LP experience metric in QS is actually a notoriously complicated and frustrating one. There's a lot more than just text alignment, navigation and page speed involved.

Finally, I'd like to point out that about 2 months ago, Google announced a change in how QS was reported in AdWords for new keywords. Your keyword will ALWAYS show a 6/10 quality score when you add it to a new ad group and it will change when it has enough clicks and impressions to give a more accurate number. You will ALWAYS see 6/10 until this data comes in and Google updates the QS.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply.

The keyword seems to have enough data to calculate QS: >10000 impressions, >500 clicks. Not sur if that is enough though?

You mention "There's a lot more than just text alignment, navigation and page speed involved." in the LP experience metric. Do you know a good resource for me to consult on the things Google measuren to calculate it?

thnks again,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Nils 

If I knew everything Google used to calculate QS, especially landing page QS, I wouldn't be posting on this forum Smiley Happy There's what's in the help center and then there's speculation on various blogs around the web. Some more speculative than others. 

What I've found is that by forgetting about "traditional" SEO completely and focusing on real life user experience (sit your mother or grandmother down at the site and watch how they use it) and building it for user experience rather than the AdsBot, you'll generally have more success. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Nils,

Google says enough data means 1000 impressions, so 10000 is definitely enough. Page loading time is a major factor in evaluating a landing page, and it's one of the only factors revealed by Google in calculating that score. Also included in that calculation is whether your site is responsive and displays well on mobile devices. A redirect to a site designed for mobile will work also, but not as well as a site with responsive design.

You can use this page to help identify why the page loads slowly, and it will give you a score for both mobile and desktop devices along with ideas how to make the page load faster:
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Look at both the page load time and the usability scores and comments. Both will affect the Landing Page experience rate.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks Pete!

you mention "it's one of the only factors revealed by Google in calculating that score"

do you have a url i can use as a reference for my clients, where Google explicitly mentions this?

thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nils R
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Nils R this should do it:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

There's a whole paragraph on page load time Smiley Happy  It also mentions "... making sure your page loads quickly..." right at the top.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks Jon,

i also found this resource where Google explicitly mentions load times being a factor:
http://adwords.blogspot.com/2008/06/landing-page-load-time-now-affects.html

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Nils R just out of interest, what exactly are they doing on their landing page that makes it load at 4.5s?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@john_Gritton loads of unnecessary javascript libs mostly.