Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How best to target users with Gmail ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum so sorry if it's the wrong one!

I'm about to set up some ads to target people using gmail and I'm wondering what's the best way to target users for this.

Should I use remarketing or target users by interest etc?

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Thanks,

Laura

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How best to target users with Gmail ads

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Laura B

You are at right place to get answer to your query. If you want to target people who are using Gmail, G

Google Display advertising can help you reach in Gmail placements. You can target according to interest for newly visited user, You should use remarketing which lets you reach to people who have visited your website before. There is additional benefit to reach past website visitors and greater possibility for conversions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laura B,

You can take advantage from Gmail Sponsored Promotion ads too. Now GSP is now integrated into AdWords UI. If you wanna know about GSP ads, here is the guide - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6105478?ctx=tltp

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Kaushik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Laura,

I recently ran a GSP campaign recently to great effect.

My targeting was based solely on anyone receiving email from one of my competitors. I used keyword to target their domains.

Make sure you take time to get the creative right, it really can be the difference between success and failure

Its worth noting that GSP is suited more for branding rather than direct response, so don't be disappointed if you see few sales as a result.
the reporting is pretty basic, to get a greater understanding of performance and how it has impacted your overall ppc activity, run a assisted conversion report in analytics. This will let you know if someone has seen your gsp creative and then later converted via a ppc ad.

Good article on the subject matter
http://marketingland.com/gmail-sponsored-promotions-everything-need-know-succeed-direct-response-gsp...

Hope this helps

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for this reply - I found it really useful.

I've had a bit of a disaster with the ads - I selected a handful of topics to promote the gmail ad on and had selected gmail as the placement.

I only selected the topics yesterday and when I came into work this morning it had spent £400 over night!

Have you any tips on how best to target these ads so as not to throw away so much money?

Thanks again really appreciated your reply.

Laura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jonathan,

i created a gmail Targeting campaign but haven't got any impressions on my ads when i asked the google representative she said that keywords targeting doesn't work with GSP ads , so can you please suggest how you were able to use keyword to target competitors domains.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Ravi,

I think there may some confusion here, as you can definitely use keyword targeting on Gmail Ads. If you want to target a competitor domain, or a term that might be in a user's inbox, you should enter that as a broad match keyword in your ad group. No other placement targeting is allowed, however--only mail.google.com.

Hope this helps, and let me you know if you run into any issues setting this up.
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the explanation. It would be of great help.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

@LauraBburn regarding the Gmail ads, the first thing I'll say is make sure you only set a daily budget that you're comfortable spending. Display campaigns have access to a huge number of impressions, so you're much more likely to spend the full budget than you are on a search only campaign.

Gmail ads are broad by design, but topic targeting may be too broad if you don't want to get as much traffic. You might try a handful of keywords to target with first, or you can target specific domains (competitor websites) that you know your customers may receive emails from. These websites can be added under the keyword targeting too.

Cassie