AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How accurate is the placement tool when searching using a website url?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently an intern at a small start-up company that sells an educational app for kids. Recently we got a conversion on a site that reviews kid apps so I thought it would be a good idea to look into it and search for related websites through the placement tool. I ended up with over 700 results of cooking/recipe websites. I am sort of doubting that the most related placements for an app review site would be food websites. So my question is, are these placement results only showing because the websites have a similar target audience to the app review site and it is actually accurate or it's a mistake?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How accurate is the placement tool when searching using a website

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi vincentch,

I find the placement tool a bit lacking if you don't enter your own keywords. As an example, we sell astronaut autographs and space memorabilia, but Google thinks we sell credit cards.

It's better to find the keywords yourself.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author vincentch
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi vincentch

As suggested, when adding placements  or topics I always recommend to include keywords.  Adding keywords, should narrow the  targeting to relevant pages on placements. (Though not always works as expected...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It usually will give you a good sense of the target audience, perhaps you didnt adjust something the way it should be, or this site relates somehow to cooking.

Try searching for audiences and interests by topics where you may get nice ideas as well.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi vincentch,

I find the placement tool a bit lacking if you don't enter your own keywords. As an example, we sell astronaut autographs and space memorabilia, but Google thinks we sell credit cards.

It's better to find the keywords yourself.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author vincentch
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi vincentch

As suggested, when adding placements  or topics I always recommend to include keywords.  Adding keywords, should narrow the  targeting to relevant pages on placements. (Though not always works as expected...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’