AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How accurate is location targeting by state (physical location)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd like to set up an ad campaign that targets users by the US state that they are physically located in.  The users are general consumers (not corporate).  

The accuracy level should be 90% or higher.  Can Google location targeting achieve that level of accuracy?

Matt

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How accurate is location targeting by state (physical location)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Matt, welcome to the Community.  

I'm not sure how much you know about Location Targeting but Google uses several methods to determine a users' location and their degree of accuracy varies.  I would say that with an entire State, you're probably good for 90% because of the "edge effect".  If you think in terms of % of population, then States where the major population centres are relatively distant from the borders will probably give you a very good targeting outcome.

At the end of the day though, all you can do is test.  Even if there is location "drift" then you have to weigh those clicks against your income from those clicks within your chosen area.  

Ad copy and Keywords also help with Location targeting, although I'd need more information about your business to make any detailed suggestions here.

More about Location Targeting

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits