Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How To Test New Landing Pages and Ad Performance

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello All, 

Our campaign has been running for about 8 months. We have one campaign with 11 AdGroups. We only have one landing page for all of our ads, so landing page experience has always been a problem. We now want to create different landing pages for each AdGroup. I want to test the new landing pages against the old one using the same exact campaign (AdGroups/ads/keywords).

What is the best way to test this without losing the campaigns previous information about QS, CTR, Ad Position and Conversions? I have read on this forum where people will duplicate their ads, and use a new url. Then they will set the ads to rotate evenly. This sounds a bit messy, but I would be willing to try. 

Any advice would be great, thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Sherron,

Agreed, this is the right approach to test the landing page variants.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

There's nothing messy about this approach. In fact, it's considered best practices to always be testing. 

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Archit thanks for your help! I will try that

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@tomhalejr We have multiple ads in each ad group for testing purposes, but I thought adding more to test a new url might be messy. But if that's the best way to test then I am all for it. Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Sherron, you can make a copy of the best performing ad from the multiple enabled ads and try new landing page with that copy.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Archit I didn't think of that, thanks! How long do you think I need to test them? 

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Analyse at least 3-4 weeks stats.

Regards

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

this is a good practice but I would also look at using experiments, i personally have not got extensive experience with since i am relatively new still to adwords fulltime however it has allowed me to track the impact of my changes in new ads compared to old ones.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6318732?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=6319800

The real benefit here is using experiments you can draft a new campaign without having to set it up all over again, then if it works you can simply roll it over the top of your old one or continue to use the new one.

This will save you a bit of admin time.