AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How Should You Organize Keywords in an Adgroup?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What is the most preferable way to organize keywords?

1. Single Keyword with all match types in an Adgroup

2. Same match type for all keywords in an Adgroup

3. 2 Keywords (Singular and Plural) in an Adgroup

4. Using DKI (e.g  Buy {Chocolates}) Single word in an Adgroup

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vishal Joseph
September 2015

Re: How Should You Organize Keywords in an Adgroup?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is really depends on the type of the campaign the goals,  and the size of the campaign
Keep in mind:

• DKI works best to exact match; (you don't get "weird" headline)
  • Organizing keywords by match types (each match type has its ad-group) requires some work and additional time.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Vishal Joseph.

I for one prefer the "all matches in one ad group" + stacked bidding (exact match has the highest bid, then phrase, then modified broad). That's because I can write the same ads for all keywords.

Of course, you need to watch your search terms reports carefully and if you see a search term that has a high enough volume, is triggered by phrase match or broad match keywords and is not quite a good match for your ad, you'd probably want to take it out of the context, create another ad group around it and also include phrase and modified broad for the new keyword (the former high volume search term). At the same time though you should include the search term as a negative keyword in the initial ad group, in order to avoid having the search term being triggered again by the same keyword in the initial ad group.

As for DKI, I only use them when I'm testing the waters, so to speak, willing to see if there's enough traffic that I can direct to my website and I want to see how those keywords perform.

I've had success with modified broad match as well in form of DKI, but I've only used keywords which were short enough to show in the ad text exactly the way I wanted them to.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is really depends on the type of the campaign the goals,  and the size of the campaign
Keep in mind:

• DKI works best to exact match; (you don't get "weird" headline)
  • Organizing keywords by match types (each match type has its ad-group) requires some work and additional time.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Vishal Joseph.

I for one prefer the "all matches in one ad group" + stacked bidding (exact match has the highest bid, then phrase, then modified broad). That's because I can write the same ads for all keywords.

Of course, you need to watch your search terms reports carefully and if you see a search term that has a high enough volume, is triggered by phrase match or broad match keywords and is not quite a good match for your ad, you'd probably want to take it out of the context, create another ad group around it and also include phrase and modified broad for the new keyword (the former high volume search term). At the same time though you should include the search term as a negative keyword in the initial ad group, in order to avoid having the search term being triggered again by the same keyword in the initial ad group.

As for DKI, I only use them when I'm testing the waters, so to speak, willing to see if there's enough traffic that I can direct to my website and I want to see how those keywords perform.

I've had success with modified broad match as well in form of DKI, but I've only used keywords which were short enough to show in the ad text exactly the way I wanted them to.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have seen some devastating ads with the DKI usage.
And Thanks for Your Post.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Of course. Ebay and Amazon are famous for getting DKI wrong. But at the scale they are working, mistakes are inherent.