Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How Quality Score is calculated for New keywords & new account

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone,

My question is if you have a keywords in a new Adwords account for a brand new website, how the historical CTR & other QS components are calculated in such a case? The account is brand new with a new website first time advertising in AdWords. 

As no historical data is available then how to get all the components info?

Also does a new website and new account takes time to perform well in Google Adwords.

Does Ads & Adgroup have some internal Quality Score? and which would be the best way to create a campaign in such a campaign.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How Quality Score is calculated for New keywords & new account

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

It's a good question.

To your first question - how is QS calculated for new keywords in brand new campaign with no history? I don't think there would be a definite answer. But I would share what I believe it must be.

To me for new keywords with literally no account history, Google must be considering ad relevance, landing page experience, and the QS average of advertisers in the same industry. 

CTR cannot come into question in this case obviously, even landing page cannot be fully analysed that fast, so the initial aspects like page speed, responsiveness etc. might be playing the lead in LP experience till the account gets some history and Google analyses the LP properly. 

To your next question, it's true that AdWords performance gets better with history, but it does not mean that it does not perform well without it. History matters more here because you get the data of performance based on which you can optimize the campaigns better and can instruct the system to do better for you.

Edit: Don't forget to read this guide for better understanding on QS.

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Once you add a new keyword you are assigned a default QS based on other advertisers QS for the same keyword (in its exact match form). After about 1000 impressions or some time (which Google does not disclose, your KW performance "kicks in" (predominately the CTR)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Chris,

There's an initial quality score calculated for each keyword based on its historic CTR on Google, which is not specific to the account. Parameters like CTR & ad relevance come into play when the account builds its history.
Sumanth Sridhar

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
MosheTLV is spot on with this one. The initial QS given to a keyword is calculated based on all other advertisers QS on that keyword. It is worth noting here that this is the case even in an established account.

When you add a new keyword its QS is calculated based on other advertisers. If you have an established account then this initial QS is adjusted based on account history.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are you all saying it by your experiences or there is any link to documentation? I can't find any. I remember having spent hours looking for a word from Google on iternet a few months ago.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Rohan;

Google published it in an article on our community;

>>"... when we add fresh keywords, initially, they’re awarded a historical Quality Score based on their previous performance on Google.com. And only once the keyword starts accruing statistics, the system then evaluates its Quality Score based on its recent performance. This doesn’t happen dynamically but is a gradual process".

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’