Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

How Keywords Are Getting clicks on GDN?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Some times before adwords started showing details of keywords stats on GDN, I am quite confused with this. I am Not able to get how a particular keyword is geting clicks while there are no. of such Keywords.

Sandeep Kumar Sharma
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How Keywords Are Getting clicks on GDN?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sandy,

This is just like Google Search, where ads are matched to users' search queries.

Keywords in GDN works just like Google Search, your keywords determine where your ads are shown on the Display Network. Therefore, each ad group you create should have keywords that are related to one another but vary within the theme.

The closer the relationship between each keyword and your product, the more likely it is your ad will find the right audience. 

Kindly visit GDN Step by Step Guide.

Just a Thought!

Thanks
Anchal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sandy,

In addition to Anchal's great response, I would suggest you to read an interesting thread on the same question that you are asking. How Individual keywords get clicks on GDN? Smiley Happy 

I asked the same questions at the moment I start seeing clicks on GDN keywords.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Sandy,

In addition to valuable thoughts above from Anchal and Neha, I would like to quote about what Google said in its official Adwords blog regarding change in the Contextual Engine algorithm. Here it is: (Pay attention to the part marked in blue.)

"The contextual engine, which matches ads to pages based on keywords, is at the heart of display-buying through AdWords. We’ve been hard at work behind-the-scenes to give this engine its biggest enhancement ever, the ability to combine the reach of display with the precision of search, using Next-Gen Keyword Contextual Targeting. This means that you can fine-tune the performance of your contextual campaigns down to individual keyword level, which will help you take the performance of your marketing campaign to a completely new level. It’s now easier for you to extend search campaigns to display and more efficient to run the two types of campaigns together. "

This clearly indicates that the individual keywords getting clicks inside GDN are the most valuable for you and can derive more business prospects.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks Neha..it helps me al lot.. Smiley Happy
Sandeep Kumar Sharma

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for this information, it will be more helpful if you an tell me the formula for CPC calculation in GDN, As ad rank & effective CPC in Search.

Thanks
Sandeep
Sandeep Kumar Sharma

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep,

Below mentioned 2 articles might assist you with your query:

Cost per Click Bidding

Improve your keyword-targeted Display Network campaigns

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

The article was very useful but Question remained unanswere as i want to know the formula. There is no Quality score so how is ad rank calculated in display network & how my Actual CPC is Calculated??

Thanks
Sandeep
Sandeep Kumar Sharma
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandeep Kumar
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep,

Although Google has been doing alot with its Display Network, but I believe that the formula to calculate the Quality Score (for GDN) would remain the same as it was earlier. I am not sure about the change in algorithm after the recent updates. But I got this reference for you which states that:

Quality Score for the Display Network

The Quality Score for determining whether an ad will appear on a Display Network placement differs for contextually-targeted ads and for placement-targeted ads. (Learn the difference between these two.)

1. Contextually-targeted ads

The Quality Score for calculating a contextually-targeted ad's eligibility to appear on a particular Display Network placement, as well as the ad's position on that placement, depends on the campaign's bidding option.

If the campaign uses cost-per-click (CPC) bidding, Quality Score is based on: 

• The historical CTR of the ad on this and similar sites
    • The relevance of the ads and keywords in the ad group to the site
    • The quality of your landing page
    • Other relevance factors

If the campaign uses cost-per-thousand-impressions (CPM) bidding, Quality Score is based on:

1. Placement-targeted ads

The Quality Score for determining if a placement-targeted ad will appear on a particular Display Network placement also depends on the campaign's bidding option.

If the campaign uses cost-per-click (CPC) bidding, Quality Score is based on:

• The historical CTR of the ad on this and similar sites

If the campaign uses cost-per-thousand-impressions (CPM) bidding, Quality Score is based on:

Hope that makes sense now!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks a ton Pankaj... Smiley Happy
Sandeep Kumar Sharma