2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Higher than 10% CTR but lower than 5 quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a few keywords with low impressions, but they have high CTRs nad low quality scores. But that seems like an oxymoron since quality score is supposed to be based on an estimate of how many users will click through. One word is 14.29% CTR and 3 Qual., while another is 11.11% CTR and 5 Qual. What gives?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Franklin W
September 2015

Re: Higher than 10% CTR but lower than 5 quality score

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor
Hey Franklin and Adrian,

Just addressing the QS here. What you see in the interface is the QS for Google search only. That doesn't mean there isn't a different QS for search partners. Your keyword could potentially have a different QS for each search partner.

Segment the keyword tab by network. That will split results for Google and search partners. You can then compare performance on the 2 networks. You may find response from search partners is much higher than for Google. That would show you a high CTR and a low QS.

Also, look at lost impression share due to ad rank. If the number is high, either your bid is low or your CTR is low compared to the competition.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Have you tried checking the quality metrics for these keywords?

Go to the Keywords tab, find one of these keywords, and hover your cursor over the diagnostic box (the little "dialogue box" image).

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Expected CTR: Below Average
Ad Relevance: Below Average
Landing Page: Average

The expected CTR is really what I am addressing here, and wondering how I can be above 10%, but still be below average. I do also have ads that make use of those keywords.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

The fact is that "expected CTR" is something that varies dramatically from one industry to another. For some businesses, a 2% CTR is really great while for others, a 15% CTR is very poor. 

I assume you are using small Ad Groups with only a dozen or so keywords, picking the most appropriate landing page from your website content (or providing custom landing pages), and writing ads that specifically speak to the keywords in each Ad Group?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I currently have 14 keywords, was running 4-5 ads (I just paused everything and created some new ads to test), and link to an SEO friendly URL that redirects to the product page.

But the difference in CTR brings up something else I was going to post eventually, as in how do you benchmark to determine how your ads are performing? I understand the idea of keep advertising as long as you are making more than you are spending, but is there any reasonable way to place goals based on standard results?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I also have such keywords, they get clicks either from the "Search partners" segment, which I suspect it is not a factor of CTR in the reported QS or they get clicks from the "mobile segment" where a low bid is more competitive. Probably the reported QS does not factor in the CTR of the mobile segment, i do not remember very well right now how it is.

Anyway a high CTR means nothing without looking at the volume. You could be getting 5 clicks from 50 impressions and it is still a 10%.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Currently I am set to Search Network Only, but do have mobile selected. And while volume is great, I think I would prefer to have low volume and a high CTR than high volume and a low CTR. Sure, 10% of 1000 is better than 10% of 100, but is it actually the same (or better) to have 1% of 1000?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hello, Franklin. Have you tried to look at auction insights to see who's beating you and then check their ads and try to write ones that are even more enticing?

Are you making good use of ad extensions? Sitelinks, especially, but also seller rating (if they're available to you)?

It's seems to me that although your CTR looks ok (double digits) it may be a case that for those search terms others manage an even higher one.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I almost always managed to obtain "Ad relevancy" at least to a level of "Average" by moving such keywords to ad groups with a single keyword and writing 2-3 ads which include the keyword words in the text once and in the display url once such as site.com/Keyword , even if that page does not exist.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome idea, I want to try this. Should I pause my current ad group so that they would not be competing with each other?