Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Higher Quality Score but Low Ad Position

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I am managing an AdWord campaign in which my ads have quality score 10 but ad position is still 4.3. I am not sure why this is happening because as per my knowledge, if my ad quality score is high then I might be at the top spot but this is not not happening here. I am still getting a few clicks as compared to lots of impressions. Also, my cost/ conversion is too high.

Please suggest me the best possible solution for this.

Screenshot_1.png

Best Regard

Om

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Higher Quality Score but Low Ad Position

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Om,

Ad rank/position is not fully dependent on QS, it also depends on the Bid amount and the ad extensions.

Ad Rank is calculated using your bid amount, the components of Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats.

For top/first position you need to bid high.
You can check the recommended bids for top and first position bids with the help of corresponding metrics and then bid accordingly.

Go to the keywords tab within adwords dashboard >> columns sub-tab >> modify columns >> attributes >> add Est. top page bid and Est. first position bid in your default metrics >> apply.

Now, you will be able to see the recommended bid for the required positions.

**Please note that still your ad position may vary due to competitors bidding strategy but not very much affected as average.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
simple logic :-- increase your bid
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
April 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello OM,

As per the Ad Rank Formula, Ad Rank = QS * Max CPC Bid. Now, if your Quality Score is 10 this does'nt really mean that your Ad Rank will be Highest.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122

Suppose you have 3 other advertisers who also have QS 10 for same keywords as you and their CPC bids are higher than yours than naturally their ads will show up on higher positions.

Try these steps to further analyse and test.

1. I see that you have only broad match keywords and no long tail keywords. Try experimenting with BMM broad match modifier or exact Match Keywords and see what results you are getting.

2. Check Search terms under Keywords to see what exact search terms your users are finding your Ad on and add irrelevant ones under negative keywords and relevant ones as keywords

3. Check your impression share compared to competitors and impression share lost due to Rank and budget by adding these columns and see what share you are losing because of Ad rank and budget

4. Raise your bids partially to see what impact it has on clicks, impressions and conversions. Also, if you are getting good amount of impressions but low clicks/ conversions, do check search terms as well as whether the information in your ads & landing pages is relevant to what users might be searching.

Hope this helps you to get more user traction.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@ashish g Thank you very much for your time.

I am agreeing that ad rank depends upon the quality score and cpc bid. As you can see in the shared image that my ad quality score is 10 and I am optimizing this campaign for maximum clicks. So that I am using ECPC. So, I don't think so there is any need to raise the caps bid because it is automatically incremented by AdWord as per our bidding option. So I am sure, cost and quality score is not a barrier in ad position.

Comment for your first point. You can see that this campaign is in foreign language so there is no option to use the long tail keyword because we want to show up our ads only for specific terms ( broad match and exact match keyword) because after appending any other term meaning of our keyword get changed. You can also check this at your end for "billiga lån". So we don't want to change the keyword.

Anyway thank you very much for reply and your time.

Regard

Om Thakur

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Archit Thanks for suggestion and please go to my second post.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Om,

If you are using automatic bidding- maximize clicks, the adwords will adjust the bid to get maximum clicks within that budget.
It is not always necessary that the 1st or top positions will give maximum clicks. In this bidding adwords will randomly change the bids for different positions expected to give maximum number of clicks.

As shown 4.3 is the average position, so it is not necesary that the ads were triggered between 4-5 positions every time. Might be sometimes it was shown on 1st or 2nd position.

You need to compromise with position in case of this bidding strategy.

To opt the ECPC, you need to switch Manual CPC bidding.

Also go through the link for more details about ECPC:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464964

Though both works automatically but both works for different goals, ECPC works for conversions while maximize clicks works for clicks. And none of these is bound to show ads on top positions.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Archit your answer is up to the mark. So form your words it seems that I clearly need to raise the cpc bid. Let me go with this for improvement.

Thanks for your time.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
If you want to fight for top positions then yes you need to raise.
Also, Many times I have practically faced that ECPC and CPA bids performing poor as compared to manual bidding with respect to conversions.
So all is about experiment, test different strategies, analyse and opt best one as per your goal.

I have practically used Automatic bid strategy- Target Search Page Location(Top of the first results page) and it performed outstanding maintaining the top positions.

Regards

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Sound good!!! I am also going with Target search page location bidding option. I will definitely share my experience with this bidding option.

Thanks.