Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Higher CTR but lower Ad Posn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've launched a few ad campaigns for the first time and I've noticed a higher CTR but lower ad position for one as compared to another. This is confusing since until now I was under the impression that higher ad positions translated to higher CTRs. Does anyone have any explanation for this?

For further information: the 2 ads I am talking about are identical in text and other details except for the fact that one works with Google's auto-bidding system and for the other I've set a max CPC.

Ad 1 - Max CPC - Lower Posn / Higher CTR / Lower CPC

Ad 2 - Auto-bid - Higher Posn / Lower CTR / Much higher CPC

Any info will be appreciated - thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Higher CTR but lower Ad Posn

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Ad rank is calculated based on the QS and bid

CTR is the pediment component of QS.

A QS  score is  relative  to other advertisers. So, it could be that the CTR is high, but relative to other advertisers, it's  within "average"  or low. Hance QS will be average. If you also bid low, then you get a low ad rank 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Abner,

In addition of what Moshe has said, you can watch the video of ad rank to understand how ad rank calculate.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. However, one part of the issue for me lies within my ads itself; as in, one ad has a higher CTR than the other but a lower position. I'm confused about this part in particular - any insights?
I would assume other factors are considered such ad relevance and landing page experience, but are they sufficient to compensate for a lower CTR?
Thanks.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abner S
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abner,

One thing to remember here is that may of the metrics you are looking at are averages and are thus open to misinterpretation.

Take for example average position, If your first ad showed up 10 times in pos 2, its average pos would be 2. If your second ad showed up 5 times in pos 1 and 5 times in pos 3 its ad position would also be 2 but those are 2 very different situations in which one of those ads could receive a higher CTR than the other despite both being in the 'same' position.

Other things to consider are where exactly pos 1 is, it is possible for pos1 to actually be at the bottom of the serp if it is the first page on the ad. So one ad could have a higher average position but its ads could be posted at the bottom of the page which will in most situations lead to a lower CTR.

I would suggest looking at Top vs other as a segment of the data you are looking at with your ads. This will tell you the metrics for the ad when it appeared at the top of the page versus when it appeared else where irrespective of position.

You said that these ads were identical but with different bidding models, I am assuming they are in different ad groups then, and therefore being triggered by different keywords, this alone would have a dramatic impact on how people engaged with your ad, as the ad could speak more clearly to the one group than to the other, competitive factors then also begin to play a part and a myriad of other factors.

If they are being triggered by the same keywords then in this situation you are creating an internal conflict and there are many extraneous variables here that could have the effect that you are talking about.

Hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Abner S

Abner S wrote:
I would assume other factors are considered such ad relevance and landing page experience, but are they sufficient to compensate for a lower CTR?
Thanks.

The answer would be: no. Expected CTR is the most and predominant component  of QS. Focus first and foremost on improving the CTR.

Also remember, that the QS is a relative score. (Relative to other advertisers bidding on the same KW).  In some verticals, it is tough to get a CTR above average.  Hence,  your  QS  will be within the average, unless your CTR outperforms. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clynton - thank you very much for your great and detailed answer! It makes everything much clearer; and the Top v Other report is very interesting; I didn't know something like that existed.
Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV
Thanks a lot. This is something I expected, but I'll keep in mind the relative aspect of the QS after your comment.
Have a great day!