AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Higher CTR but lower Ad Position

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have an ad group that has been performing very well.  I have two ads which both contain dynamic keyword insertion in the headline.  These ads seem to be considered fairly relevant to the keywords in ad group and avg at about the 2.5 position.  I tried a new ad which doesn't contain dynamic keyword insertion, but instead has my brand name in the headline and uses the keyword insertion in the ad text.  The ad is performing better.  Its CTR is about 4% vs 2.5% from the other two, older ads.  It's converting well.  Thing is, it's avg position is 4.  Will Google realize that the ad is just as relevant and eventually start to bump this ad's ad position up?

I feel I've written a better ad, yet Google is keeping it further down in position.  I'd love for it to be up in the positions where my other ad's show.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Higher CTR but lower Ad Position

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You may find this counter-intuitive, but you may have actually hit a sweet spot. A lot of us managing multiple accounts have noticed position 4 doing amazingly well - especially now that you can see extensions at all positions. In fact, Adobe’s April 2016 Advertising Report analyzed three months of anonymous data from search advertising and came to the same conclusion. So you may want to be happy with the improved performance at position 4 - moving to 3 or even 2 may not bring much higher improvement.

That said, your position is determined each time during auction. There are many factors that go into your placement - and your new ad may be seen as slightly less relevant so you may need to bid higher. Once it proves it performs well at the higher slot you could try lowering your bid back down. Sometimes Google needs a bit of help :-)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks. I'd still like the avg spot moved up some. I've done my own searches and seen it in the 5 or 6 spot(bottom page) more than I'd like. I have a great conversion rate on it, so I'd like more exposure. I just wish you could bid up one particular ad, because if I just bid up all the keywords in this ad group, I'd be kind of over-bidding when it shows the older ads. I really don't need them in the 1 spot.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Doing your own searches is a bad thing - unless you're using the preview tool... Do you have your ads set to rotate evenly?

I often run a report in Analytics to show me the keyword, search term, and creative so I can review any relationships between each - along with the bounce rate, conversions, etc. I often create phrase and exact match keywords from search terms that work well with a particular ad and move it to its own ad group.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tommy,
I think you have several options:
1. Create new ad group where you can use best performed keywords and ads and bid it separatelly.
2. Set up Google Analytics Goals with exact value of conversions, link it with AdWords account and use bid strategies like "Target CPA" or "Target ROAS" - AdWords Optimiser work well, but it need some time to collect data how keywords are performing and what bids are most effective.