Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

High traffic volume from Vietnam in GDN

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everybody,

I have been running a branded ad test in GDN for a client to identify CTR based on branded vs non-branded ads.

The campaign is set world-wide and split into 4 campaign categories by geo-location.  In my "Rest of the World" sub-section the campaign received a disproportionate amount of clicks from Vietnam (over 50% - which is huge given this is my biggest campaign for number of countries).  My audience targeting is pretty narrow (as the test conditions demanded), so I am surprised to see such a huge amount from this country as it is targeting the luxury end of things.

I have since excluded Vietnam from the test, but has anybody else seen anything similar or can offer an explanation?

I found this (https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Suspicious-video-watched-in-Vietn... which sounds fairly similar, but nobody offered any answers as to why.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High traffic volume from Vietnam in GDN

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Tristan, how are things?

I think it's a little hard to determine the "why" since we don't have access to account data and even Google servers for that. Maybe that's something that only an engineer could answer.

From our point-of-view, we can only create hypotheses and assumptions like:
- Maybe this traffic really is your target?
- Maybe there's a high click fraud on vietnam?
- Maybe your content create high curiosity for people in Vietnam?
- What devices are you targeting? All of them? Does the traffic from there comes from one device specifically or through all of them?

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro,

I certainly get that nobody will have direct access to information and especially not Google servers. I was only interested to see if anybody else had come across similar and if they had found any reason for it. But in answer to your points:

- The traffic really is not the intended target and I doubt there are many people in Vietnam that would hit this demographic to click so much more than USA by comparison.
- Click fraud is a possibility, but seems unlikely given the test conditions
-I doubt the curiosity aspect also given the product is 10,000 km away in a straight line
- There is no discernible pattern from devices. Desktop 55%, Mobile 41.5%

However, I did read my original post back and realized I forgot to mention that YouTube was also the biggest culprit for clicks (similar to the link I added) which is odd.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Trsitan,

Your insights were most valuable. It seems very odd indeed with the information you've provided.

Funny that YT have huge impact on this. It would require some manual work, but you should be able to check some information by going in the "Placements" report under the "Display Network" tab. From there you can check the "See Details" button, which will give you the exact placement where the clicks are coming from. Unfortunately you can't cross this data with location, but it should give  you an idea of what kind of videos/categories were consuming your budget.

Here's how you access the details:

Animation.gif

_

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro,

Thanks for the info - I have already done that and it is just complete and utter rubbish on YouTube that nothing to do with the product. Although I appreciate the targeting is on the user and not the channel, I still find it virtually impossible to believe that the type of client we are targeting they would ever go on these types of sites intentionally.

Which got me thinking and I found this:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/we-dislike-you-vietnam-hackers-give-youtube-videos-thumbs-down-1518821

This seems the most likely of explanations and refers to the click fraud you mentioned earlier.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Yeah, that's probably the issue. This just got me thinking about Russian traffic on Analytics SCAM for increasing visits on some websites.

If your targeted audience hasn't anything to do with Vietnam, that's probably scam/fraud.
_