Guide Me
star_border

High direct sales per day & good CTR but very low conversions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Performance Optimization Geeks, 

I am running a campaign which has good CTR of 0.3-0.4% but not performing in terms of conversions. Campaign also has very high direct sales per day. What could be the reason behind poor conversion rates even if having good CTRs and high direct sales?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High direct sales per day & good CTR but very low conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mohit.
CTR has absolutely no relation to conversion rates.
I could bid on the keyword "gold" and have an ad that says "free block of gold worth $20000, no catch". I'd certainly get a lot of clicks and close to a 100% CTR but I wouldn't get any conversions if I sold shoes on my site.

The ad has to match your offer on your landing page. People who visit your site via your ads are not getting what they expect to be getting. It may be the price is not what they were expecting or that the ad doesn't match what's on your landing page.

Put yourself in your visitors shoes and take the journey yourself. Look at the visitors path through your site in GA and see where they're dropping off. That should give you the answers you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Davis,

Thanks for the insights. I understand what you are saying and I will surely do a scrutiny and check what exactly visitor is getting when he is clicking and why he is dropping off.
But is it possible that a campaign with very high direct sales, with relevant ad, with right landing page and high CTRs to get low conversions in the end?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mohit
It is of course possible, Remember, direct sales are in a completely different buying mode than PPC visitors. Direct sales usually come from those who have already decided to buy.

If I want to buy a phone for example, if I have decided I want to buy an iPhone, I go to apple.com and buyimmediately. However, if I don't know what phone to buy, I browse many different sites. I only convert on one (if at all).

You need to make sure that your ad matches your landing page. Not just in terms of accuracy but overall user expectation. In fact, this is an element in how quality score is calculated.

You may even want to use a service like usertesting.com to test howvisitors really see your site and whythey may be dropping off. However, Google Analytics is incredibly powerful in discovering this info anyway.

Best bet is to watch your visitors (you can do it with real time analytics) and see where they drop off. If they drop off on the landing page, it may be an issue with the ad itself. If they drop off somewhere else, it may be another issue. Only your data will tell the story.

Hope that helps!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

If I can, I'd like to add a couple of thoughts.

First, I wouldn't consider a CTR of 0.3-0.4% to be particularly good, not even for a Display network campaign, where CTRs tend to be low overall.

If you're advertising on Display network sites, you might want to check your placements and start optimizing--focusing on the sites and categories that are producing actual website visitors for you. if you feel your placements are correct, then it's possible that your ad text is not clearly telling people what you have to offer. Try testing new messaging, so you get clicks from more relevant visitors.

If you're advertising on Search, then a CTR of 0.3-0.4% is very low, indeed. Try refining your keyword list--adding negative keywords to block unwanted searches and/or eliminating broad match keywords or keywords that aren't specifically related to the product or service that you're offering.

Aside from that, I'd say that @Dave_Davis is absolutely correct--if your conversion rates are low, it's because when people get to your website, what they're seeing doesn't match what they expected to see.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theresa for valuable inputs. I am running retargeting campaign not search campaign. I forgot to mention that this particular question is mainly for a retargeting campaign. I agree with your other points but I am doing proper placements and website targeting, hence figuring out what could be the other reasons for such scenario.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi mohit, the information about this being a Remarketing campaign was really kind of vital...

Bear in mind that the entire intent behind Remarketing campaigns is to either try and complete a sale for a visitor who has shown a strong interest or to upsell/repeat to previous buyers.  If you're showing your Ads to people who haven't shown any clear interest in buying, or your product doesn't lend itself to repeat or upsales, then Remarketing is likely to be entirely ineffective.

Who are the members of your Remarketing list(s)?  What criteria/rules have you set for these lists?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mohit,

If you are doing a re marketing campaign try to promote a new service or product your company has recently launched. It can also be some new promotion or offer you r company provides. So it will be attractive to those users who have already visited your website. Else we can't expect a transaction from those visitors who has already been to your site. It will only lead to build a momentum in traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

By mistake, I clicked on accept solution, can I revert it back ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Roshni and Jon,

Thanks for valuable inputs, I understand all your points as I am into retargeting for quite some time. I have been following user using his interest, geo, time, slot placement, site performance etc. I also tried whatever suggested above by all, I am not able to observe what I am doing wrong as I am not getting uplift in conversions. Any suggestions ?